Thread: Red fox

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red fox

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held, Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS III (wish I had the time to get the TC!!)
    Auto ISO 320 1/1000 sec f6.3
    This Red fox was just over the boundary of my back garden it had just caught a field vole and was looking around for more. I hoped it would position itself in a better lighting circumstance but no dice. I waited and watched for 15 min as it went back and forth but it refused to come close or in the right direction. I was a little surprised to see the rather grey look to it's coat.
    The image is unfortunately quite a large crop.
    ACR & PSCC
    All C&C welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon we must be getting a run of very grey Foxes,see sasan's,this one is certainly in very good condition with that thick coat and a super brush looks like it as caught more than one of those field Voles.Really like the alert pose and think you did very well in the conditions you describe.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Do you think he might still be in the winter coat John? Lovely frame I do echo's Keith's comments about the condition he's shinning. I caught up with one recently terrible condition John heart breaking to see in detail when we got back. Cheers for sharing although cropped the detail is lovely at the resolution I view at nice head turn makes the image for me

cheers

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Nice head turn towards you and the pov works well. The fox looks a little crunchy, perhaps oversharpened to compensate for the large crop. There's some blue coming through the whites and grey of the throat. I hope you'll get more opportunities with the fox.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, great eye contact here, and I like the detail on the coat. Well placed in the comp.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

You are so lucky to have those pretty foxes nearby, I am jealous:)

A well composed image and the pose is just perfect, lovely eye contact. DoF is great. Good techs and some really nice detail coming through.

Afraid to comment on colours as I have never seen the species, I only dare a humble observation: somehow I would have liked to see those whites whiter (muzzle and sides), but I guess that's how things were?

Enjoyed viewing, a lot! Show us some more of those foxes, please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon apart from the IQ loss due to the pixel bashing , i think this does look quite good .
    Like the head turn towards the viewer and the position in the frame. BG and FG are looking well separated from the subject even if being a bit busy in parts .
    Overall i think the image does look a bit muddy in terms of tone and color .... if you know what i mean ?

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, the circs were not ideal, light in the wrong direction and it was not a decent day, but I just couldn't resist grabbing a shot.
    I saw him again last night in beautiful light as I was walking Barney.... yes that's right no camera!