Thank You Posts

Default Arctic Tern

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm
    1/1600
    f/8
    ISO 800

It's Tern time again here, as the Terns are starting to return to the Isle of May to breed. I think I will have to take it easier this time around, as, after spending hours last year on them, I injured my shoulder. I don't like using a tripod for BIF, but, I think I will try it out this time. I would have liked more shutter speed here, but was set up for perched birds, when the bird quickly arrived.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

10 out of 10 for the great head on look the tern is giving you!
    Wing position is not bad and quite dynamic.
    My bug-a-boo with this image is the bright sky at the top of the frame. I would clone in or do content aware fill with the green vegetation.
    I would also do another round of NR on the BG. Another good trick for the BG, if you have EFEX pro software is to select the BG and go tonal contrast and move the 3 sliders all the way down to taste. It acts like a gaussian blur but looks better IMHO.
    I see a sharpening halo around the head.
    Still a really good image and it would sing with a bit more PP,
    Gail

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, like the head turn to you, but agree more SS was required.

I don't mind the bit of sky, having a 'sea' of green might be a fraction too much???? not sure what's happening on the underwing and body which does lack some detail, but I'm guessing it's the shadow of the wing. With the 1DX, at ISO800 you don't need any NR, however I would drop some Contrast which will help the BKG. There are some Highlights that also need addressing too, both quick adjustments. A quick tweak of the Tonal Curve just lifts things I feel.

I'll drop you a line.

Cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the critique and advice Gail and Steve, much appreciated and learned from.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like the pose and direct stare of the bird. I agree with gail about the bright part across the top of the background.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well caught Will, I am guessing this is DPP in which case I would suggest the contrast is too high. Close inspection seems to indicate you have captured some lovely plumage detail, I think a little more processing at raw stage would benefit and raise the image a little.
    If you decided to eliminate the sky and fill in I would be tempted to recrop with the bird a little lower.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, did you wave a fish as this fellow flew in. Very well timed to have captured the head turn, as it raises the image big time. I quite like the wing positions, and the Tern pops nicely against the BG. I would maybe crop a touch off the top and then clone back some of the greens.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys, for really good advice. I have learned a lot from it, and is much appreciated

Will