Thread: Sandhill Crane Portrait 2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sandhill Crane Portrait 2017

Name:  Sandhill Crane Portrait (2017) [BPN].jpg
Views: 78
Size:  286.8 KB
    So happy to see the Sandhills have returned.

D500
    Nikkor 600mm f/4e FL
    1/500
    f/8
    ISO-400
    Center Weight Average

Cleveland, Ohio
    May 2017
    Clear and sunny about an hour after sunrise

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel, the Sandhill Crane looks really good. Nice detail and color, maybe lower the exposure a tiny bit. A better background would improve the image. Try this, when you have a bird you want to photograph turn your attention to what the background will be. Sometimes moving right or left, up or down a little will give a better background. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Daniel, the Sandhill Crane looks really good. Nice detail and color, maybe lower the exposure a tiny bit. A better background would improve the image. Try this, when you have a bird you want to photograph turn your attention to what the background will be. Sometimes moving right or left, up or down a little will give a better background. Thank you for sharing.
    Thanks Joseph - I really do appreciate the critique feedback. Especially on photos that I consider some of my best. My normal routine is...

1) Look for good light
    2) Look for a good background
    3) Find a subject

Sometimes I get a bit too excited and blow it all off for the subject when I see something interesting. I 100% agree with you on the background and it being a bit too bright. What I'm happy about however, is that I took the time to wait until the bird was in a good position i.e. head parallel or angled in. Thanks again.

4. Thanks Juan Tolentino thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel,
    Nice portrait and I do like the position of the head. Exposure on the bird looks okay to me. Agree the BG is a bit distracting. Nice image overall.
    Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree re: the background. The eye looks nice here, but I would consider cloning out the second catchlight if willing -- not a huge thing but it might make the eye pop more. Have fun with the 600mm!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Sparks View Post
    Hi Daniel,
    Nice portrait and I do like the position of the head. Exposure on the bird looks okay to me. Agree the BG is a bit distracting. Nice image overall.
    Allen
    Thanks Allen!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Agree re: the background. The eye looks nice here, but I would consider cloning out the second catchlight if willing -- not a huge thing but it might make the eye pop more. Have fun with the 600mm!
    Thanks Alex. I'll take a look at that in LR. Having a blast with the 600 - it's going to be tough going back to the 2-5.