Thread: Black-necked Stilt (and a little story)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-necked Stilt (and a little story)

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a sad image for me, it was take in a local area here a couple of weeks ago. The area is always great for shorebird photography, there is always something to photgraph here. The birds get close to you, you can lay low at ground level and have the sun come up right behind you and the background is distant, all you can really ask for. Unfortunately this area is private owned and was sold to a real estate company. It was fenced off last week with "keep out" signs and apparently it will be filled to begin construction on it later this year. So in other words this is my last image from a place that gave me a lot of wonderful photos!

Below you can see the area I'm talking about. It's the big rectangle area with narrow sand bars running through the middle of it on the right half of the image.

D750 | 300mm f2.8 w/ 2x TC

f/8 | 1/1250 | ISO 1000
    Last edited by Raybel Robles; 05-11-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Raybel, I'd give you criticism but there's nothing to criticize. Sorry to hear about losing your spot - it's happening everywhere and it's frustrating. In the US we have more houses than people yet developers keep buying out private property and destroying habitats to build overpriced HOA developments. It's sad really. One of my favorite spots is surrounded on three sides with bland neutral colored houses, the owner on the 4th side says he won't sell. I hope he holds out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice capture Raybel, the low perspective payed off with a great layer BG, sorry for your loss

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice shot -- nice details, clean BG, nice light and a good pose. Really a shame about the construction. I hope you, and the local wildlife, find another nearby spot. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

sweet shot, everything I like, good light, low angle, nice background, sharp subject. I saw my first stilts last week on my vacation, they are so cool! Sorry to hear you got kicked out of such a nice spot, hope you find another soon!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Unfortunately there's no way to stop the encroachment of man. It's all too Real of a problem when it comes to wildlife photography, or even just being a naturalist. They will keep coming so you need to keep moving. So do the birds.
    The shot looks great and I really like the light, the low shooting angle and the beautifully colored background. Well done
    Last edited by David Salem; 05-12-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the image, great light and a great low perspective. If anything, I would not mind the bird being a bit further back in the frame. As for man's continued destruction of habitats and the earth itself you might as well love it as it is reality ... with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Maybe images like this can help gaining protection to places such as this one. But at the end of the day it is a hard fight. Image is beautiful with the colors, magic light and the shooting angle.