Thread: Lower Rosseau Falls

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lower Rosseau Falls

Name:  Lower Rosseau Falls_6108.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  324.7 KB

After opening up the cottage for the season on Tuesday I headed to Lower Rosseau Falls to play around with my new extreme wide angle lens - the Laowa 12mm f2.8 Zero D lens. So far I would have to say I love the lens...excellent sharpness and all metal construction. It is a fully manual lens, but I usually work completely manual when doing landscape work anyway. The lens has a wonderful hyperfocal scale engraved on the lens barrel that is used for focusing the lens...simply compose the scene, set the hyperfocal distance and click. I will be revisiting this location in another couple of weeks and hopefully with a specially designed filter holder that I have on order, which will allow the use of polarizing filters and grad filters too. I would have preferred to be standing a little more to my right for this scene but as you can see I would have been swept away if I did. I am hoping the flow subsides a bit upon my next visit so that I can stand further to my right. As darkness was setting in quickly I upped the ISO to 400.

Nikon D800
    Laowa 12mm f2.8 Zero D (the Zero D stands for zero distortion)
    ISO 400
    f11 @ 2.5 seconds
    No Filters

Looking forward to comments and suggestions.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I saw this on Facebook first and I love it. Now without seeing it without the compression, even better! The scene is very well seen, Andrew. I really like the FG and how effective it is for the composition.

Is the DOF marking accurate?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Adhika. Yes the hyperfocal scale is very accurate. I really do not need to confirm focus with the lens. I compose the scene, set the hyperfocal distance and click the shutter. The biggest problem with this lens is making sure the tripod legs or my toes are not in the frame

Threads
    Thank You Posts

wonderful scene Andrew, I really like how the foreground pulls the viewer into the scene and nice low perspective. I am lusting after Canons 11-24 f/4 just for that perspective.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Don. You would love the Laowa 12mm f2.8 for your seascapes and nightscapes. The Laowa lens is $949 at B&H as compared to Canon's 11-24mm which is $2699. Also Nisi have made a filter holder for the lens that comes with a polarizing filter and will accept two grad filters. I am awaiting the arrival of my filter holder which I hope will arrive any day now :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for being a bit late here..My days seem busier after retirement.. I too love the FG 'gold plated' rock and the draw into the image it provides with the wide angle.. the shooting position looks a little precarious tho.. No suggestions, only admiration.

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Don! It was a tricky spot to shoot from :)