Thread: Little Hunter

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Hunter

Attached Images Attached Images

Since it is Predators' month I have decided to look through some old folders for something different. I haven't posted an image of a Caracal in some time, so here is one:)

Kindly note, at the time this image was taken the subject was not fed and was free to roam on a private game reserve. This, after spending some time in rehabilitation. I have had the pleasure to observe this Caracal female on a few occasions. In terms of her "activities" she was as wild as could be, but at the same time remained unafraid of humans. She did take a liking to me for some unknown reason and I was able to capture images of her in very close proximity. A couple of times she chased me around and I was afraid I'd get bitten:) Interesting enough, as soon as I turned around she ran in the opposite direction! I saw her chasing warthogs, trying to grab a snake and catching mice too, she often arrived at the old house where she grew up and searched for critters, on occasion she slept on a chair on the verandah.

Image taken in very harsh light (approx H 11:00 am).

PS Should you wish to see more of this lovely feline, kindly pop in to Story Sequences Forum where I have just uploaded a number of images

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm F2.8
    ISO 400
    F6.3
    1/2000s

Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Sunday afternoon, and thank you so much for taking the time to view - I appreciate it, very much.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its always wonderful when you get a close bond with an animal, whether wild or tame - must have been a great experience for you. I would have never guessed this was 11am light - kudos for the techs.

If possible I'd have preferred the crop have been slightly different, with a bit more cat and a bit less negative space.

I don't know much about this species, but I do like the raised ears and alert pose.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Poole; 05-07-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - You did well in the stronger light. Nice detail and sharpness. Love those tufts. She pops nicely against that creamy bokeh. I agree with Mike. I'd like her a little further into the frame and a little less negative space on the lhs (and you know I like negative space). I think it probably is because of the angled body.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- How good looking cat this is ? And you have literally pulled out minutest of details. Absolutely fantastic work. I would also on the framing as mentioned above but for me the IQ looks stunning. Excellent job !

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition and the beautiful fur. The expression is great and I enjoyed the story line. I know we can't always have what we want but i think your would have wished for her to be looking a little more directly toward the camera.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The main thing about this lovely shot Gabriela is the super detail and lovely texture of the fur,feel like I would like to stroke it ,not a good idea me thinks,did wonder about a portrait crop with a little more at the top to give a bit more room for those lovely ear tufts,just my personal thoughts and saying that I am more than happy with your presentation.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Gabriela well she is a real beauty ...sorry was !
    I really like your portrait on most counts ...just not really 100 % on the crop .
    Well handled harsh light and colors do look very nice !!!!!
    A great amount of fine detail captured .

Enjoyed viewing ...Sis , TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Mike, Rachel, Haseeb, Jon, Keith and Boetie Andreas:)

I do understand your dilemma regarding composition but I dislike square frames, tremendously. Even when they work...

Jon, I do have lots of frames with this Caracal looking towards the camera, some I already shared so I chose something different this time around:)

Here's an RP for you dear friends, with wishes of a super week ahead!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Do like your repost which shows even more detail Gabriela, and take your point re your dislike for square crops.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have always enjoyed your captive Caracal images Gabriela and this one is no exception, I do prefer your OP and also never a fan of square crops in nature photography.

Your handling of the lighting conditions is also commendable with excellent colour & quality and glad you kept the grass stalk in.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Keith and Marc,

Just for interest' sake and to clarify things, I already met the subject some time before she was released back into the wild. She had been kept away from visitors/tourists and interacted with very few people, apart from the lady who took care of her and with whom she had a special and affectionate relationship. When I visited I was not encouraged to touch her as she was "a little unpredictable". Interesting that the more I looked away when she was nearby, the more she came to me. I guess by not challenging her I was less of a threat and she felt comfortable in my presence. Eventually she befriended a serval (while still in captivity) and I was delighted to watch them interact with each other. They were almost inseparable and with time both showed less interest in being with humans. The serval was released first and hardly ever returned. Except for one occasion when he jumped through the window of the dining room straight onto the dinner table as we were busy eating:)

At the time this image was taken the caracal was no longer fed, nor restrained in any way. She came and went as she liked, at times disappeared for weeks. You cannot imagine how often I went to visit hoping to see her but she did not pitch up. I was lucky though on two occasions.

Despite her ability to fend for herself her life was rather brief. Sad to the core to learn that she is no longer around. I do not have all the details of her illness but I was told the local wildlife vet really tried his best to save her.

Thank you both again for viewing and kind comments, I so appreciate it.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela it must have been a lovely experiences for you following the life of this animal even though things have not turned out as we would like,certainly lots of ups and downs when dealing with all animals but gets more difficult getting them back into the wild but when it works it's all very well worth it,enjoyed reading your account.

Keith.

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabby stunning details the repost seems more natural but I prefer the first crop.thoughts on square crops ,duley noted. Love the grass,considering the light I think the take is remarkable Gabby

Gabby the story is wonderful yet heart wrenching for me,the natural world is such a hard place. When folks try to hard to get an animal back to the wild and it doesn't work out I simply can't imagine a harder situation to bare. But those efforts are so comendable it never seems fair that the outcome should be other than success. Cherish her Gabby ,well I know you already do,a o celebratation of her life, this image is to me.

Simply beautiful

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh Stu. She was out there free and happy for a few years before she died. I do cherish her as much as I cherish all wildlife. Perhaps a little more...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Oh Stu. She was out there free and happy for a few years before she died. I do cherish her as much as I cherish all wildlife. Perhaps a little more...

Kind regards,
    Gabby thanks for this,she had longer than I thought,that's lovely to hear and know!!

Thank you so much for sharing her,ahh she's so gorgeous an the image spell binding
    Wonderful Gabby, made my weekend I felt it was much shorter have a fabulous weekend your self

take care mate

Stu

17. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Stu,

Sorry I took so long to reply, I do appreciate your comments and time to view!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea