Thread: Second Post - Marabou Stork

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Avian Second Post - Marabou Stork

Hi everyone. Been a while and finally have tim to get posting again.

Marabou Stork taken in a photographic hide in South Africa, whilst hosting a private photography trip.

This unfortunate critter is one of my favourite African birds, but usually gets a bad name for being ugly. This particular individual put on a fantastic display in the first morning light.

Name:  Lance van de Vyver - Marabou Stork.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  294.1 KB

Canon 5dsr
    Canon 500mmf/4
    ISO 500
    Aperture f/4
    Shutter speed 1/1250

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome! What a nice low point of view of it feeding! Maybe not prince charming of the bird world, but I think it looks cool!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Michael. He's spectacular in his own special way haha

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a prehistoric looking bird -- but very captured here. Light and details are killer. Surprised at how much DOF you had given f/4 -- a bit more could've been helpful perhaps but nice as is. Calm water is a bonus. Really nice shot, TFS

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Lance - Great to see you posting! Gorgeous, warm morning light. You have managed to make a Marabou look pretty, no easy feat. If it were mine I would tone down the 2 specular highlights to the left of the feet. Looking forward to seeing more.

Say hi to Kirstin for me

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very warm welcome to BPN, Lance

I think your Marabou looks absolutely gorgeous in this golden light. Love the POV here. Nice techs and well processed, I like the framing too.

If this was mine I would tone down those bright feathers above the R leg just a tad, overall a wonderful image I so enjoyed viewing, TFS!!!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting and loverly image. It does not quite look as ugly as it usually does, quite beautiful in fact. The low perspective is absolutely wonderful. I am gonna take a crack at opening up the head a bit ...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I ran my NIK Color EFEX Pro 50/50 recipe on the top of the head and the shaded side of the bird's face.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one heck of a super image. Love the colors and light. Great low angle and the different perspective. Artie has improved it a notch. This is a contest entry. It is SO unique and artistic.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook