Thread: Burrowing Owlet (again) at sunrise

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Burrowing Owlet (again) at sunrise

Name:  Owlet at sunrise in a dust storm-.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  321.2 KB

I had to do a lot to remove noise so I know this could be sharper, but I'm hoping his cute personality makes up for the softness!
    f/8, ISO 3200, 560mm, 1/400 sec.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks very nice to me! I'd put my sig on the bottom right but I love the pose and the big ol' eyes. Happy shooting!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool! I love how big their pupils get before sunrise! I was just doing some this week and got the same look. It is tough in the low light, any movement in the subject or camera is going to cause blur. I just shoot a lot of frames and hope a few turn out. Still it looks good enough for a small print, if you really like the image. The noise is probably due to high iso. what camera do you use? typically, only pro level full frame bodies get good image quality with such high sensitivity settings.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Michael! I use a Canon 1DX which can handle higher ISOs. I also love their huge pupils and how they mirror the light. You can almost use their eyes as a guide to the time of day. I'm going out again tomorrow before sunrise and hope to get something! The Owlets aren't out yet - won't be until June, but the parents are along with one Owlet from last season.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jay! I never thought about the watermark - it just does it automatically when I export. I can change its position, however!