Thread: Croc Attack !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Croc Attack !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone , Thank you for your comments and suggestions on my previous post .

Here is my first contribution for this months theme. Was pretty lucky to see a big herd of zebras returning back to the Mara in the month of Nov, when already the migration gets well and truly over.

it was quite difficult for the crocs to remain in one place without popping their heads as the current of the river was quite strong and at the same time it was also difficult for the zebras to get over the line due to the same reason. Here the croc was successful in killing one zebra but its body was swept away by the strong flowing water.

DPP 4.5, CS6, WB, curves,levels , selective colour, reduced the magenta from the water ( the water was actually quite murky, tried to retain its original colour as much as possible ), cropped from right , top and slightly from the bottom, slight sharpening applied.

1/8000 sec; f/8; ISO 2000

Canon 5D MK III and canon 500mm f4 IS II .

All your comments and suggestions are most welcome .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the drama captured here Haseeb, the open jaws of the croc and zebra eye contact, plus you were fortunate indeed to witness this so late in the season.

Like most migration crossings that always seem to happen well past the golden hours, so you've handled the less than ideal lighting quite well.

TFS

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - You've been holding out on us! Great action and storytelling image. The open jaws and obviously rushing water really convey the drama here. The light was harsh and you did well but watch the hls, some are hot. In an ideal world there would only be one zebra in the image but not a deal breaker. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

You are full of surprises, dear Haseeb!

Excellent frame, filled with action and lots of drama/ suspense as the croc is about to sink its teeth into the zebra's flesh. I too think you handled the harsh light very well and I notice a whooping 1/8000s, whew!

Awesome capture indeed and I love it. Stared at this frame for quite a while last night, decided to have another look now before I shared some humble observations. I felt - and still feel - that you could perhaps bring more life into this? I tried a curve adjustment but might have gone a bit too far, perhaps you could go somewhere in-between? I wanted the croc's teeth to show and some more vibrance on its upper jaw, a tad more contrast on the zebra - WDYT?
    I cannot wait to see what else you have in those folders, Haseeb! Keep them coming please, wonderful work

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel , Gabriela and Marc, your opinions are much appreciated .

@ Gabriela -- i kind of processed something along that lines but thought it was looking a bit crunchy, nonetheless i find your RP quite pleasing , especially working on those teeth really helps here . Thank you for your time and trying your hand on the image .