Thread: Talking leveret ,Brown hare UK. Lepus europeas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Talking leveret ,Brown hare UK. Lepus europeas

Attached Images Attached Images

We have been fortunate to get some more time with Taz, the leveret previously pictured here ( whom i'm slightly besotted with). i'm not quite sure what he's up to,this pursed face is repetitive,but I can hear no sound,which might not mean these is none. I don't know what this behaviour is really so many possibilities,but it does add to the joy of him for me.

A similar senario as the first image almost the same spot. Much more time with him very few images due to visability. Grey old day, which brightened nicely later on. Processed in DPP4 .6 .10 shot in protrait cropped to 4 but keeping the full width of the frame,basically a bit off top and bottom. WB via eye dropper. Pulled back blue and aqua sat sliders by 1, tone to the red side by 1,plus slight NR and work in gamma.Pushed sharpening,fine detail pic style. It was really grey when I took this, i've tried to keep to that ,but felt a real need to reduce the blues in post
    1/1250
    f5.6
    iso 2500

Canon 300f2.8is 2Xextii 1Div

Cheers for all the previous thoughts and wisdom on my previous images
    take care
    stu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu it sounds like you are doing a lot of mixing and matching with your settings, you will be getting a reputation worse than mine!
    I like the pose and the leveret looks cute. The greens don't look quite right to me and the leveret looks very tan, I would suggest have a look with the neutral setting to begin with, then if colours look odd take the white dropper to the left chin, then if that doesn't look close try adjusting the colour temp in increments to see if you get what you are after. After this you can increase saturation if needed.....If that doesn't work I'll think of something else! Don't forget to reset everything to default before you make your next set of changes

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh my rep would be far worse Jon,already Scheming a bit on the techs jon needed to see dof of head in the field, plus fighting for SS as it went very grey Taz is dark jon we can spot him miles off we have comparisons one with him today,he is very brown compared to others right here . This all effects colour, but I hear you Jon ,maybe I've gone too far trying to get back to what I feel I saw. i'll revisit and come back shortly, please forgive.
    Jon, BKG is oilseed rape on a dark grey day,the foreground might be a wildflower mix,i'm unsure,so the reds in the greens up front might not be so far away. I can't place some of these plants jon
    Had a good go today,actually with him jon but cotswold soil has too many rocks for old bones crawling about with bouncy tiny things. Lovely to be with them mate not behind a wall, now,it's getting interesting but they are so small a dock and they vanish,
    speak soon

Stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Yay! You remembered to turn the camera and shoot portrait. The comp works for me. I agree with Jon on the color of at least the hare. It looks much lighter/more tan here than I remember from your previous posts. The dof works for me though I can also see it with a bit more. Interesting expression of the hare.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- nice piece of work , i see improvement from you every single time and nice thinking on going vertical . Colours can go with more vibrancy especially the fur of the subject. The thing i always notice is the lack of sharpness or you applying sharpness very tentatively, this can also have a bit more sharpening .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Stu it sounds like you are doing a lot of mixing and matching with your settings, you will be getting a reputation worse than mine!
    I like the pose and the leveret looks cute. The greens don't look quite right to me and the leveret looks very tan, I would suggest have a look with the neutral setting to begin with, then if colours look odd take the white dropper to the left chin, then if that doesn't look close try adjusting the colour temp in increments to see if you get what you are after. After this you can increase saturation if needed.....If that doesn't work I'll think of something else! Don't forget to reset everything to default before you make your next set of changes
    Hiya Jon, thanks for the interest and kind offer of help. Jon it's the eye dropper I believe that is primary cause of the colours.i've tried this again initially but not happy, So I have gone the color temp route,now set to 5200K if I drop much more I start to get back to where we were in the OP. Neutral as pic style Gamma 18 sat 1 colour tone 1 to the red side,ie slider left. Sharpening pushed to 8.

I'll hold fire there and wait until you have time to evaluate,I feel if I'm in the ballpark with these initial steps then maybe we can push further on the colour if needed. Step one (WB) is I feel where I went astray here, I think I was trying to hard to go back to what I actually remember and that has clouded my judgement somewhat. Jon I don't oft use the sat slider I find it very powerful and often the image looks over cooked after it's use,so I haven't applied that much here. I have looked at fine detail and neutral, went back after going through these base steps,i'm not so concerned now about this as the WB,but have posted in Neutral as it will give your more experienced eyes the relevent info. I feel i'm in need of pulling back yellow now John but as I say don't want to go too far and confuse the matter

All set back to default before the re edit

Thanks again Jon WDYT?

stuName:  _70F9226.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  208.6 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - Yay! You remembered to turn the camera and shoot portrait. The comp works for me. I agree with Jon on the color of at least the hare. It looks much lighter/more tan here than I remember from your previous posts. The dof works for me though I can also see it with a bit more. Interesting expression of the hare.

TFS,
    Rachel
    He he, Ahh Rachel you'ld laugh he came right up yesterday so duley I switched to portrait and then ended up in the wrong orientation trying to track him as he decided to come bouncing past. But yes I am listening and thinking in the field, I hear all your voices,not as quick as I should be yet though !!

Thanks for the thoughts Rachel, we'll see how the edit appears and then move forwards hopefully

take care

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Stu -- nice piece of work , i see improvement from you every single time and nice thinking on going vertical . Colours can go with more vibrancy especially the fur of the subject. The thing i always notice is the lack of sharpness or you applying sharpness very tentatively, this can also have a bit more sharpening .

TFS !
    Progress up and down abit Haseeb but after more sessions with him I can see from what I have captured,given the chance there is more to come.
    Haseeb my images will always appear undersharpened I feel, until such time as I can work selectively, I simply can't repicate the selective sharpening that I need to add in post. As long as the RAW is sharp enough then I don't think I can do much more sadly at the moment.

Thanks as always, buddy, for your kind words and input

Stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this little un' says: " Stuuuu...I'm posing just for yoooou"

Very cute pose indeed and the framing is great. You are producing some really nice work lately!

DoF works, subject pops nicely among vegetation. IMHO colours are better in your repost, although the subject a bit yellow on my screen, I somehow expect a more reddish tinge to its fur but I could be wrong.

And I agree, it needs a tad more sharpening, maybe a bit more oomph too? So here's a humble RP, all I did was a Linear Contrast in Curves (applied selectively) then played a bit with colours, softened the BG and then a round of sharpening to the subject, face and chest only. I have never seen this species in real life so a lot of guesswork, sorry Stu

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    I think this little un' says: " Stuuuu...I'm posing just for yoooou"

Very cute pose indeed and the framing is great. You are producing some really nice work lately!

DoF works, subject pops nicely among vegetation. IMHO colours are better in your repost, although the subject a bit yellow on my screen, I somehow expect a more reddish tinge to its fur but I could be wrong.

And I agree, it needs a tad more sharpening, maybe a bit more oomph too? So here's a humble RP, all I did was a Linear Contrast in Curves (applied selectively) then played a bit with colours, softened the BG and then a round of sharpening to the subject, face and chest only. I have never seen this species in real life so a lot of guesswork, sorry Stu

Kind regards,
    He he thank you Gabriela,it's very strange Gabby i'm seeing mouth movements in adult hares too,it genuinely looks like some form of vocalistion is happening,but i'm not able to hear anything.Mind how loud would one talk if one had hearing like these guys are blessed with?

Thank you so much for the repost,he certainly pops more all the work you have done improves things. It's colour that is a struggle Gabby. Jon bless him has put a lot of effort in behind the scenes to help me mate. I'm really struggling now,I completely agree though too yellow. I've gone back through many images of him,in different light as the light logically might potentially be my stumbling block here,but I keep coming back to my OP (which i'm not totally happy with either),with regard to the leveret's colour. I'm slightly stumped Gabby really am!!

Gabriela,we have spent a lot of hours with these hares recently,it's getting to the stage now where we are recognising individuals,they seem to have a range of colours. At this time I'd imagine there is a moult coming in the adults,so I'm slightly unsure what exactly to deduce from my observations. Thing is, I'm seeing a variation in leverets too,Taz being very dark in the field ,not typical of the others,so far seen in this population at all. Couple in plants that aren't a usual shade of green like the foreground ones,my lovely little mate is giving me a head ache or two

So the amount of guess work you have had is very understandable to me, with regards to colour. This isn't so straight forwards due to this lack of uniformity I'm really struggling to get him right Gabby

many thanks

stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Stu,

Here's another version... Yep, more guesswork but it's fun to play around...Let us see some from you as well, no harm in trying till we get it right... Right?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Thank you Stu,

Here's another version... Yep, more guesswork but it's fun to play around...Let us see some from you as well, no harm in trying till we get it right... Right?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela,you are so generous,bless ya mate. Definitely getting nearer,!! Yes your right,need to persue this, i'll be back asap. I need to try and build on all the time Jon has put in Gabby. We are going out after them later,if we are lucky and see him ,much staring will be done on colour. Gabby I 'm struggling with him,but pressed for time,be back soon though hopefully.

Thanks so much for your kindness with all the help we'll pin him down i'm sure

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu,well done catching this little chap ,most points have been covered above and think Gabriela's last post looks about right for colour,think maybe that twitching nose might have caused a bit of a problem with sharpness ,well that's how it looks to me,must say have the same problem with Mice.
    Cheers Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Hi Stu,well done catching this little chap ,most points have been covered above and think Gabriela's last post looks about right for colour,think maybe that twitching nose might have caused a bit of a problem with sharpness ,well that's how it looks to me,must say have the same problem with Mice.
    Cheers Keith.
    Hi Keith,sorry slow in reply. I think I have myself a bond with him now Keith, all the hours seem to have left us at a place where he simply watched me approach yesterday sure done with caution,then went too sleep. Keith it's so special an hour yards froma tiny thing,whose happy to have a nap. Naturally Keith what is following is all the relaxed behavious a baby hare gets up to that one so rarely sees. It's a thing of beauty mate and also quite good for a guy who wants to make images. Which brings me to your comment,I'm very aware of those wiskers Keith and that twichy nose. What shutter speed would freeze this.

Keith ,thanks for the reply,ahh mate leverets all ways yesterday tis a thing of wonder you would love this place

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu,sounds like you are having a great time with these Hares,would have thought your1/1250 would have been ok,perhaps it's down to other factors,keep at em mate.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  _70F9226.JPG
Views: 9
Size:  193.4 KBMy humble apologies,for the time taken in replying and another note of thanks to Jon for the help he has given me behind the scenes,even though Jon,i've been incredibly distracted ,i'm so grateful mate. I've tried to come back with fresh eyes as it were with another take, I've basically pulled back the orange hue to -2 sat default and pulled yellow back hue-4 sat -2. i've also boosted the lower half of the curves section very slightly. These hares are proving a real challenge re colour: as i spend more time,get to know individuals and see them under differening light,i'v become so aware of the differences in individual colour as well as how one animal's colour can seemingly shift.

HA ha the mysticism of hares what a fabulous experience this has been,thanks for all the help re colour

Attachment 169171