Thread: Burrowing Owlet

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Burrowing Owlet

Name:  Owlet with kissing Owls 1200bpn-.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  230.7 KB

I'm done with Skimmers and back to my favorite subject of all, the Burrowing Owl. This happens to be my favorite photo in my collection because of the cuteness of these Owls. I've captioned this particular photo as "Get a Room!" because the Owlet in front looks terribly embarrassed by the kissing behind him. In reality, it's mom kissing another Owlet. Yes, this is a square crop because to the left is an artificial (plastic) burrow , part of which I had to clone out. Nothing to the right as I was very low on the ground and fairly close to these owls who, by now, became somewhat used to my presence. I particularly love the little one in front because he was the youngest of 8 Owlets and the goofiest. He should have left the burrow in the early fall but never did. He remains, to this day, with mom and dad. Of course, all feedback is welcomed. I am aware there is still some noise - as you can see in the eyes of the Owlet, it was taken at very first light. I also think the cloning on the bottom left could have been more elegant.

f/7.1, 1/80, 400mm, ISO 4000

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the interaction between the owls and the low angle you shot from. Like you said there is some visible noise. At least to my eyes the owl on the right behind the little owl looks more in focus than the little owl. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the cuddle puddle! and the dilated pupils showing the low light. the critical focus is on the far owl leaving the cure juvenile soft unfortunately. you have to pay attention to the focus points. the image as a slight red cast and some visible noise.

please also indicate the camera body and the lens used to help with critique

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ha ha, the expression here is priceless!! I can see why you love it. The square crop works well. I would have preferred the focus point be on the front owlet, but the image is still a smile-maker with fun impact.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can see why this image is so special to you. Arash's critique is spot on. I think you could probably improve this image with some more sharpening of the front owlet.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook