Thread: Good deal... right direction?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Good deal... right direction?

I now use only a D500. Lenses I use are:

300 PF with 1.4
    Tamron 150-600 G2

I use the 300 when I don't think I'll need a zoom and when I want to go light - and - the light is less than ideal.
    I use the Tamron when I think I'll need a zoom and the light is good. If I have bad light and need a zoom I'm not well setup... Maybe should look into the Tamron 50-200 for such times (2.8) as well.

I used to do different kinds of photography but now it's only birds...

So, I can get a Nikon 500 f4 APS non-VR - for $2800. It's in very nice shape.

My thought is this could be used with good or less than ideal light - when - I don't need to be/want to be mobile (which I use the above two lens for).

Do you think this is a good purchase given the above info?

In terms of shooting styles - I have mostly been an on the go, handheld shooter... but I think I should also work on my less mobile, find the right spot and wait for your shots kind of approach as well. Hence the thoughts on this lens. I can afford it - but it wouldn't usually be my first lens for use (most days) I'd think. I have a good enough tripod for this already but would be purchasing a limberly rig for use with it.

Even if I don't use it that much - the price makes me think renting instead is not a good option as only renting 4-5 times would pay for it. I'm 52 and fairly fit (can run around with the tamron - yes it's much lighter) - all day without a thought.

Thanks for input.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jay, I'm having a similar debate. I want to buy the 500 f4, but like you I like the freedom that I get with the Nikon 200-500 f5.6. I find myself zooming in and out all day and If I'm with the prime I will need to be moving in and out or carrying a second camera/lens body. $2800 sounds like a good price to have the lens mounted in a tripod waiting for a shot. Good luck with your decision.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't recommend buying the vintage lens, it's a waste of your money. It is going to be very heavy and limited to tripod use only, and without IS chances of getting a sharp image is not that high. the optics of the old lenses was designed for film and not capable of delivering the resolution needed for the high-density digital sensors, the images will not be sharp when you view them at 100%. Also these old lenses are no longer serviced, if something breaks it will become a door stopper.

If you are serious about bird photography I would save and buy the latest Nikon 500 VR lens (the light-weight model that came out last year)

Good luck
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog