Thread: Uinta Ground Squirrel

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Uinta Ground Squirrel

Attached Images Attached Images

Another one from near the Moulton Barns in Grand Teton N.P., Wyoming. As I said in my prior posts of these guys, unfortunately they don't come out until it's a bit warmer so the light is always harsher than I would like.

Canon 7D2
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/1250
    f7.1
    ISO 400
    HH while lying down, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel a lovely typical squirrel shot .... well executed . I like the looser crop and the pose you got by the subject . Agree that light does look harsh but you did well with the overall tones and you have good details throughout the range . DOF and sharpness does look spot on to me .
    Not 100 % on the colors , i think a bit more color depth would not hurt , i am not sure if it does look " too neutral " ?
    But as colors are subjective and matter of taste i would say it is looking ok.

Nice one ... really cute , TFS Andreas

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks really good Rachel ,pin sharp and very detailed and a cute pose to go with it.

Keith.

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb execution Rache,so sharp so detailed and again not the easiest of light ,incredibly well handled. Gorgeous pose little fella is so intent on you Rache it's just lovely.It really feels like he is involved with me as the viewer. Rachel I feel a bit like Andreas in that the colour does seem, well I can only use the same word, neutral,to me. But it is all subjective and I don't know your landscapes or animals at all, so more of a feeling to me rather than something based on substance ,but there before reading andreas' post.

Great work mate,enchanting little guy

Stu

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. These squirrels are basically grey. I did remove some blue but I do think the color is accurate.

Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As much as we'd always like to be in the perfect light, its not always an option, so you take what you get give, Here, the light is well handled, details are good, and the framing is nice.

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Rachel, quite a sweet pose as he/she surfaces from the burrow, especially with the front paws.

Overall I find the image rather flat/dull in Exposure, it lacks any real tonal depth. You have room to move on the exposure Histogram, hence thinking the original capture was under exposed. By increasing the exposure by a third (or more, personal choice) it just lifts things, then it's a simple case of tweaking the exposure module and then adding a couple of Curve adjustments. Everything IMHO starts to have a bit more oomph, the greens richer, less dirty and you get a bit more detail from the FG soil too. The light then I feel conveys the conditions you mentioned, creating some harsh light on the eye but to a point, recoverable.

Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel I like the squirrel and the grass in terms of colour and tone. I would have been tempted to darken the soil a little to add contrast.

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Jon. Steve, not underexposed at all. I may have just taken it down too far in trying to avoid the look of the harsh light. I think somewhere between the op and your rp would probably be best.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute subject and pose here Rachel with the harsh light handled as well as could be expected, Steve's RP has provided that extra tonal boost.

TFS

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Rachel,

One of the nicest Uinta images you have shared with us - lovely detail and the pose is superb. Nice techs and exposure is great, framing 100%. Good DoF, isolating the subject nicely from the background. Some fine tweaks from Steve in his RP and a warmer feel to the frame overall, nice subtle changes I would like my own Uintas please, placing my order for a pair and I promise I will look after them...

Thank you so much for sharing, a real pleasure to view,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

16. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post