Thread: After the fight ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default After the fight ....

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ,
    here is the opposite side of my last trip to Helgoland last winter ..
    I already posted some action frames of two bulls fighting heavily , first time i witnessed this in that intensity ....man that was really strong tobacco to smoke .

In the end one of them lost and went away .....both wounded to the same degree , from my POV .Actually i could not tell who was the winner ....as both took rest not that far apart from each other .
    So here is one of them who was closer to waters edge and might have been the looser , the somehow strange thing was that at that beach have been no females around . Usually they fight hefty when the females are around .....

Canon EOS 1Dx MK2
    EF 500 IS L
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 20000 ; 1/ 2000 sec ; man exp ; + 1EV

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS CC 2017 ; slight crop from top and RHS

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting....

Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - The blood certainly shows another element than your usual seal shots from this location. Nice detail. My only question is the slope/crop. As posted I feel like the seal is about to roll out of the frame but recognize that there was likely a slope to the beach so this may actually be level. If you have enough space around prior to this crop to level the eyes, I feel it would be worth looking at as an alternative.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas I see what Rachel refers to,was it a sloping beach ?it's great the way you have caught this sand and blood covered Seal ,looks like it's been in a real battle.Excellent job.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The blood and look certainly tell a story here. I agree regarding the crop / slope. Excellent details at 20k ISO and like the DOV. Quick question -- what are the two thin lines on each eye? Guessing a membrane but just curious. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel , Keith and Alec for your kind comments and suggestions , much appreciated .

Yep the seal was sloping down to the RHS as viewed. I do find this always tricky to make looking good without loosing the original slope ....so always 50/50 for me how or not to correct this.

Alex - yes this are the membranes of the seals to cover the eye , for underwater and avoiding sand in the eye .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, like the placement and colour palette here, the inclusion of the kelp is nice and I like the blood stained face, tells a story.

Personally I might apply a Tonal Curve for the Shadow/Darks just on the subject for a bit more oomph. Still feel it needs a bit more room at the foot, that's all.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve much appreciated , again i am fine with the crop as presented , but to be honest it is right on the border and i should have shot it a tiny bit wider for more options in post .

I agree with you regrading the range ....forgot to add that , as a final touch up like i do normally .....recognized it after the upload ....too late and you got me

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks alike a boxer thats just gone the distance - and lost!

I'm happy with the framing here, the head is the all important focal point, so I don't think adding anything extra at the foot would really benefit the shot.

Mike

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,
    Regardless of who won, the defeated look on this seal's face makes this image for me. I would like to see the RP with that tad of oomph please Boetie, if you have time. Very dramatic, I really appreciate this post - thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea