Thread: Short-billed Dowitcher

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Short-billed Dowitcher

Attached Images Attached Images

Image from past February at Fort De Soto, Florida. We were driving on a narrow sliver of the state park, and spotted a number of different types of shore birds dining on the beach. The light was beautiful. This adult male was beginning to change into breeding colors. It was tough for me to ID as a result. Have to credit Bill Dix for the ID. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 500mm f4/G + 1.4 TC, 1/2500s, f 5.6, ISO 2500, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice active pose in subdued light. Good work catching him without his head buried in the water, as they are usually seen. I hope I'm right about the ID. I have a similar shot of him from that location, and I'll admit I pondered over the ID but I don't know what else has the yellow legs, barred flank and two-toned bill.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is indeed a Short-billed Dowitcher in nice transitional plumage. No way to know if it is male or female as they look the same. I like the feeding pose and agree with Bill that you have done well to not get them with their head buried in the water as they feed. I would give this photo a little clockwise rotation.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill and Isaac. Wasn't sure if that was an illusion Isaac, but nonetheless a bit of cr would look better.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu