Thread: Burrowing Owl and Owlets at sunrise

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Burrowing Owl and Owlets at sunrise

Name:  Owlet and mom 700 px (1 of 1).jpg
Views: 135
Size:  352.8 KB

Hello, this is my second post to birdphotographers.net. I would appreciate any critiques! This Burrowing Owlet is actually begging mom for a nuzzle as they do quite often.

Canon 1DX with Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II
    ISO: 500
    Shot at 400mm
    f/5.6
    1/3200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa, love the interaction here and the third owl's eye. the light was a bit harsh here and the owls look a bit soft on my screen. My guess is the softness is coming from the processing, you can also remove the band in post.

welcome to BPN, looking forward to more and TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Aresh! I'm still learning how to process in Lightroom, so I can see what you mean!! I hope the SF power outage didn't affect you. My favorite city!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Melissa!!

Cute owls, and I too like the interaction. Third owl is just out of dof range - you had enough light to stop down to get it sharp as the others. Easier to point out in hindsight though! Well balanced comp, and I like the earthy tones throughout.

P.S. You can post up to 1200 pixels on the long side for horizontals...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa, welcome to BPN. Arash and Daniel already gave their comments and I don't have much to add. From the composition, I wish the 3rd owl weren't there, but understand you posted this image because of the interaction of the father and chick. I'd suggest looking at your RAW file at 100%. If it is sharp, then it's a matter of PP and sharpening. If it is not sharp, then not aa whole lot you can do. Arash has an excelelnt guide on RAW file DPP conversion if you would like to learn from him. It will get you quite far along with RAW file conversion in my experience. Loi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Daniel!!!! Every bit of feedback helps me to get better and better at this! I wasn't sure how large I could post - some sites only allow 800 px long side.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loi, I know you! You are Tin Man's friend!!! And I know you know my little Owls :). I'm not sure what RAW file DPP conversion is, but I'll ask Tin Man. He suggests looking at the RAW at 2x to check sharpness. I wasn't concentrating on the third Owlet in this photo, but now I know! Thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you this summer when the Owlets are playing again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Melissa! I think you will do well here and learn a ton. I like the image and the interaction between the owls. Nice colors and details too. Would look better at 1200pixels, Next time. Looking forward to more. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com