Thread: American Kestrel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Kestrel

Attached Images Attached Images

It's a large crop and probably could have gone with 1/1600 but I like the pose and color contrast. Other suggestions... till I get a better shot (closer)?

Details: D500 w 300 PF f4 - 1/2000, f8, 420mm, ISO 1600

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love these birds. I have two nest boxes for them and they are both being used by two different pairs. I have seen up to six of them in one area now. Getting close is a problem with these birds. They are so small and fast they are hard to get a lock on. I plan on setting up a blind in the near future and photographing them entering and exiting the nest box. Maybe doing something like that would help you to get closer? I have an image that I took over a month ago I will share later.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, the light is not ideal and unfortunately the image is soft. Hope you get a another soon.
    Have fun out there.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderfully composed shot! I wish it were a little sharper though.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I began photographing birds, I was so thrilled to capture such beautiful creatures, I would keep almost everything I shot, and publish on FB or my website images that embarrass me now. I went back through LR last week and eliminated hundreds of previously saved images. And the idea was hammered home, most forcefully: If the image is too small. It's too small. Nothing will save it. Same with focus, of course. My takeaway was that I should be investigating where I am shooting, especially analyzing backgrounds. My teacher has reminded me several times that background is almost always the greater portion of the image. Anyway. You got a magnificent creature in your viewfinder, and my guess is that it was thrilling to capture it. I'm glad to see us working to improve our photographs.