Thread: Trumpetfish

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Trumpetfish

Name:  Trumpetfish-palm-beach-BPN.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  380.6 KB

Finally got an underwater rig again (anybody know a safe hiding place from the wife for the receipts?) and managed a couple of dives whilst in Florida early April. Got a ridiculous number of images to sort through, both avian and underwater, and I'm sure I'll have better shots to show, but I quite liked this trumpetfish for starters.

Canon 1dx in Nauticam housing
    Sigma 15mm fisheye
    ISO 400
    1/160th, f9
    twin Sea and Sea YS-D1 strobes

Mike

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - As you know I am a fan of your underwater stuff. It's always fun snorkeling with trumpetfish because it seems like they are almost floating. This captures that feeling well. I also like the different colors of the coral. Looking forward to more from your trip.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - i am like Rachel a great a fan of your UW postings .Always a great pleasure to look at in general and specially UW is so different compared to land based photography .

I like the floating Trumpetfish above the reef , just wish it was a bit more separated from the same. I think the image could stand a bit more depth in the reef .What is that darker strip on the foot of the image ?

The Reef does look like being covered with some nasty algae ? I do not know what they are called in english .... but they are not a good sign for a healthy reef . These algae are not really classy algaes as they are bacteria .At least it looks like they are these kind of algae , but i might be wrong.

Thanks for posting another UW frame ..... keep them coming .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgrous Mike the clarity and detail are wonderful. I like colour of the corals too especially the oranges they really life things for me. It's an unusual genre to critique Mike,thought provoking.I like the framing,and that wonderful blue graduation of the sea,but feel unable to comment much further,your subject is cool though seems sharp from tip to tail.Fascinating Mike please share more

take care

Stu

6. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Mike - i am like Rachel a great a fan of your UW postings .Always a great pleasure to look at in general and specially UW is so different compared to land based photography .

I like the floating Trumpetfish above the reef , just wish it was a bit more separated from the same. I think the image could stand a bit more depth in the reef .What is that darker strip on the foot of the image ?

The Reef does look like being covered with some nasty algae ? I do not know what they are called in english .... but they are not a good sign for a healthy reef . These algae are not really classy algaes as they are bacteria .At least it looks like they are these kind of algae , but i might be wrong.

Thanks for posting another UW frame ..... keep them coming .

TFS Andreas
    Cheers Andreas, I'll get round to posting a few more when I get time to do a bit of processing!

The only explanation I can give for that dark strip is I may have moved the crop slightly at the last minute, and its not caught a previous curves change on the reef? Cant remember doing that but its all I can think of.

There may well be some algae on the reef, but the colours on the reef are subdued due to it not being lit by the strobes either, hence the blue/green look.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike, i would then crop the strip out

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing capture Mike,

Technology makes it so much easier for the photographer to reach beauty nowadays. Love those vibrant colours and the framing is great, I find the Trumpetfish quite fascinating. Would love to see more of your UW images

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Mike, definitely great to see something from below land as it illustrates a whole new world to us all.

No idea if this is right or wrong, just an idea, but I thought bringing some life & colour from the coral bed may help????

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Amazing capture Mike,

Technology makes it so much easier for the photographer to reach beauty nowadays. Love those vibrant colours and the framing is great, I find the Trumpetfish quite fascinating. Would love to see more of your UW images

Kind regards,
    Thanks Gabriela, struggling to find time at the moment, but I'll post a few more soon

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Mike, definitely great to see something from below land as it illustrates a whole new world to us all.

No idea if this is right or wrong, just an idea, but I thought bringing some life & colour from the coral bed may help????

TFS
    Steve
    Cheers Steve, I like the colours on the actual reef, but might tone down the reds a tad. Good RP though, I'll give it another crack

Mike