Thread: Greater Sage Grouse

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greater Sage Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

One of my bucket list birds. Went to Wyoming for a few days with a good friend who put me into several Sage Grouse Leks. Shot out of car window. D5 600mm with 1.4tc, F5.6, 1/1600sec at ISO 2000. Thanks for your comments as always

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Such excellent birds. I am going to Colorado for a few days in May and really hoping to see one of these birds. A photo would be icing on the cake. Nice flared tail and look back here. Image quality is top notch and I like the nice soft light.

My only issue is I wonder if the image is just a little bit too flat. Not sure if that is due to my bias towards shooting in warm light or not. My impression of all of the pics that I have seen of these birds (never in person) is that they are a deeper brownish with gold highlights. A displaying male would stand out a little more against the landscape. The grasses also look a bit on the pale side to me as well. I did the following, lowered the mids and blacks a bit in levels, increased the saturation and contrast of whole pic a little, burned the front grass to make it stand out more, applied detail extractor to the bird at 25% opacity to bring out a little more detail in the tail and lowered the shadows a little on the bird. Applied NR to background. Not saying it is perfect but on my screen this has the deeper tones that I associate with these birds. Thoughts?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful bird! The back view is good with the spread feathers and the look back pose. Nice habitat too and good shooting angle. Repost makes the image pop more on my end. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent find Glenn, Nice pose, HA and BG.
    I do like the re-do.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you got some nice keepers on your trip. This one looks great and I like the fanned tail and the head turn on this guy. I think the repost is a little to contrasty so somewhere in between would be good. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Such excellent birds. I am going to Colorado for a few days in May and really hoping to see one of these birds. A photo would be icing on the cake. Nice flared tail and look back here. Image quality is top notch and I like the nice soft light.

My only issue is I wonder if the image is just a little bit too flat. Not sure if that is due to my bias towards shooting in warm light or not. My impression of all of the pics that I have seen of these birds (never in person) is that they are a deeper brownish with gold highlights. A displaying male would stand out a little more against the landscape. The grasses also look a bit on the pale side to me as well. I did the following, lowered the mids and blacks a bit in levels, increased the saturation and contrast of whole pic a little, burned the front grass to make it stand out more, applied detail extractor to the bird at 25% opacity to bring out a little more detail in the tail and lowered the shadows a little on the bird. Applied NR to background. Not saying it is perfect but on my screen this has the deeper tones that I associate with these birds. Thoughts?

Thanks Isaac, My editing skills are not the best.I will post some more that had better lighting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

excellent shot of this grouse Glenn, looks like he was displaying. I like Isaac's repost with the added contrast

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn agree that this is avery fine shot of that Grouse species .
    Love the displaying feathers and the look back pose of the bird .
    Lovely separation from the BG and you have a very nice overall color palette .
    I think the image could be improved by some tonal changes i.e. more detail in the whites and some more tonal range in the mid tone area .Just my thoughts

TFS Andreas