Thread: Reach for a Dream

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reach for a Dream

Attached Images Attached Images

I know I have been quiet - my apologies. My MBA studies have sort of taken over my free time and much of my family time, so no photography getting done and not much happening on the internet in terms of forums or social media for me.

This is a photo taken last year in Mana Pools - at sunset as an iconic bull was feeding from the winterthorn trees. Sadly it seems this very approachable elephant has been shot by hunters not long after this photo was taken in one of the adjacent concessions. I cannot imagine that the hunter could have understood that he could have walked right up to Big Vic and placed his rifle against his temple, he was that accepting of humans. A sad situation indeed...

Techs:
    Nikon D3s
    Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II @ 140mm
    f22 | 1/320 SS | ISO-4000
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Morkel your picture is superb I'm amazed the way you have taken this with the sun in your face,recon I have a lot to learn.
    Your story about the sad ---------- cant put my thoughts to words on this forum even though I,m sure most would agree with me,think calling them humans is being to kind.

Keith.

3. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel - I think you've shared other images of this big bull. Horrible to hear that he had been killed, let alone for "sport." This is a fitting tribute to him. Love the sunburst and the way Big Vic appears to be reaching right up to it. If it were mine I might shave a bit off the rhs so both are less centered. Hope the studies are going well.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An African,Morkel scape at it's best. the joy I see in that big ol lad is completely smashed by sadness at your back story,words fail here Morkel.

I adore the way he's almost reaching up to grab the sun,just wonderful framing timing mate the backlit scene almost a classic from you wonderfully executed.

what possible joy could a hunter get from killing something so magnificent and so cool with humans.
    I'm at a loss Morkel fabulous image ,but so much sadness
    TFS

stu

7. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome shot -- love how the elephant is just bathed in light. Terrible to hear what happened to him. Just awful. I agree with Rachel that a bit off the right could help. Also interesting techs on the photo...a lot to learn on that front. IQ looks pretty nice for ISO 4000, although I can't tell if theres a bit of noise in the elephant or if thats just wrinkles on the skin, either way looks okay to my eyes. TFS

9. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Morkel,

Lovely capture and I love the title, indeed a wonderful tribute to this gentle natured soul. I am sad to the core to learn he was killed and I will never understand why hunting is allowed anywhere near a protected area.

I like this scene, very much. Very dreamy and the landscape is charming, so is the light filtering through vegetation, as well as Big Vic feeding silently and peacefully, away from the blazing sun.

This works for me as presented, thank you for sharing Morkel. Wishing you the best with your studies and hope to see an image from you from time to time, you are missed around here

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel -- This is a fantastic image , loved the composition and nicely exposed as well . Great field craft !

Such a sad news , cant believe people get satisfaction and fulfillment on killing such a magnificent animal .

TFS !

13. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Didn't need to look who shot this, just a glance at the thumbnail was enough!

Really sad to hear about Big Vics fate - I honestly can't get my head around how someone feels the need to do this.

Stunning light and just enough details on me for Vic, but the best part is the way his trunk hits the sunburst, very poignant.

Mike

15. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel, nice capture and well frame. Nice backlit light coming through, very O'Toole/Wolfe with the sun peeking past the tree. Looks like some colour noise coming through on the LH tree, did you lift it?

Hope you enjoyed the weeks break the other day in Kruger.

FS
    Steve

17. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel a sad story behind a stunning image ....no good news about this special elephant .
    I would ask ....WHY ?
    I love the overall frame on all counts , the cherry on the cake is the touch of the bull to the sun , priceless good timing by you . I do agree with Rachel to loose some of the RHS .

TFS Andreas

19. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, folks. I am truly very sad about this bull - spent many memorable moments on safari with him.
    So unnecessary!
    There is a new law passed in Zimbabwe that collared bulls may not be shot, so they are busy collaring all the remaining iconic bulls in the Zambezi valley. Not good for photography, but their lives are worth more than photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Morkel, nice capture and well frame. Nice backlit light coming through, very O'Toole/Wolfe with the sun peeking past the tree. Looks like some colour noise coming through on the LH tree, did you lift it?

Hope you enjoyed the weeks break the other day in Kruger.

FS
    Steve

I might have lifted it Steve - cannot recall. Just went to Kruger for a measly 4-day long weekend as it was a public holiday over here. Wish I could go to the bush more often this year...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

21. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A cracking shot here Morkel, good thinking re, f/22 and the resulting sun burst, well timed indeed.

Such sad news on this big guys demise, I'd like to think that collaring the large bulls will result in less being shot.................I certainly hope so, and really look forward to seeing these big boys come my 2 week trip here in June.

TFS

23. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post