Thread: Sandhill Crane Portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sandhill Crane Portrait

Name:  Sandhill Crane Portrait [BPN].jpg
Views: 98
Size:  360.8 KB
    Although I didn't really focus on nature & wildlife photography until a few months ago, retrospectively, this is the photo that sparked my interest in wildlife photography. I couldn't believe he let me get so close!?

D500
    Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC @ 200mm
    1/320
    f/5.6
    ISO-100
    Spot Metering

Cleveland, Ohio
    October 2016
    Bright and sunny weather

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel, a big welcome to BPN, and I hope you enjoy the participation with fellow members and photographers. The light looks a bit harsh in this, but as you have stated, you are just starting out, so you will realise shooting early morning or late afternoon are the best times to shoot in good light. For a good portrait, it is best for your subject to be at least parallel to you, or even slightly turned towards you. In this, I would crop at least a third from the bottom, but thats just a personal thing. Keep them coming.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Bowie View Post
    Hi Daniel, a big welcome to BPN, and I hope you enjoy the participation with fellow members and photographers. The light looks a bit harsh in this, but as you have stated, you are just starting out, so you will realise shooting early morning or late afternoon are the best times to shoot in good light. For a good portrait, it is best for your subject to be at least parallel to you, or even slightly turned towards you. In this, I would crop at least a third from the bottom, but thats just a personal thing. Keep them coming.
    Great, I love this sort of feedback. Thanks a lot Stu!