Thread: Leveret. European brown hare Lepus europeas UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Leveret. European brown hare Lepus europeas UK

Attached Images Attached Images

This little guy brough us both much joy yesterday with his antics,mainly performed at distance for me ,but much closer,for my lady,whom had gone t rest while I shuck up on an adult. I am conviinced he is under a week old,utterly tiny and beyond full of the joys of spring. He was an utter mad thing,I wish I could share more. He gave me this one chance close. POV is completely compromised,I can't move up down ,right or left for veggies and a wire fence,sadly. For a while I simply thought I wouldn't find a hole to shoot through,so I am really thrilled to have got at least this for now as he was very very close. Ironically I asked about shooting under sunsets,thanks to Steve and Rache for their replies,maybe I shouldn't have ,as this was taken an hour or so before sunset in the rain,hey ho. I can't begin to describe how cute this little guy is in the flesh,I think he is the youngest we have ever seen .

I've left this as full frame,ie uncropped
    Processed in DPP4.6.10 I'm happy with the colours I feel,pulled back the reds and yellows slightly a very slight s curve(just starting to explore curves). WB from eye dropper bit of work in gamma pulling the back points in and adding +18 to the mid point. fine detail pic style.pushed sharpening further than I ever have ,set at 9. Active focal point one up from center utterly unable to pull the frame down a bit, as a strand of wire is there. I am very bothered by the line of straw in the BKG running through the leveret's neck unsure if anything at all con be done,certainly I can't do anything to it,but it does look strange to the viewer

If I could i'd drop some of the highlights like the bit of straw selectively,globally I feel this doesn't work ,but there are little bits i'd like to tweak.
    Canon 1Div 300 f2.8 is extiii
    1/1000
    f5.6
    iso2500

Thanks for all the thoughts on my previous images

Stu
    Last edited by Stuart Philpott; 04-19-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: incorrect iso number a 0 added by mistake

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - I think you have a typo there and your ISO was 2500 not 25000. The colors look much better to me and sharpness is good. I do wish for a bit more room below and a lower pov but understand from your intro it wasn't possible. Yes, the bg is a bit busy. Not sure whether you can do anything about the lines in DPP. Again, for me this cries out to shoot vertical in the field. Give it a try.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu,nice little baby Hare,Hare looks good but personally I would sharpen it a bit more,not sure about the distorted lines in the bg and maybe into the hare itself,very much like the pose of this little cutie ,well done mate.
    PS what is DPP?

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - I think you have a typo there and your ISO was 2500 not 25000. The colors look much better to me and sharpness is good. I do wish for a bit more room below and a lower pov but understand from your intro it wasn't possible. Yes, the bg is a bit busy. Not sure whether you can do anything about the lines in DPP. Again, for me this cries out to shoot vertical in the field. Give it a try.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Apologies Rachel yes you are quite correct iso should read 2500,hmm that's the second time,my bad I'll try and be more careful. Can I go back and edit,I'll try in a mo. anyway as it throws out the next persons reply.
    I agree on portrait Rache,sadly it would have just added more oof junk up front,i'd also have a top wire running though, here,I was simply so compromised.I really didn't think I was going to get a chance at all for a while,I simply couldn't a hole to shoot through to have one so tiny and so close was really frustrating.

But yes you are right and it is also something I need to do more in the field very,a valid point to make Rache.

many thanks

Stu

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Hi Stu,nice little baby Hare,Hare looks good but personally I would sharpen it a bit more,not sure about the distorted lines in the bg and maybe into the hare itself,very much like the pose of this little cutie ,well done mate.
    PS what is DPP?

Keith.
    Keith DPP is canon's own free post processing engine. It's shipped with all canons EOS line of camera I believe. It's a fantastic RAW converter Keith,so it will probably always be part of my workflow even when I can have PS,i'm sure I'll always start me editing process with this programme. But it has limitations: everything is global,there are no layers or ways of selectively sharpening for example.So I can never really bring my images up to that final sharpness you guys can and of course are used to seeing. As long as the RAW is in the ball park for IQ,then the above sharpening is is pretty much as far as I can push things at the mo mate. Well to the best of my knowledge/skillset it is anyway.

Thanks for the reply buddy,it's been amazing of late Keith I wish so much of this I could have shared with you,you really would have loved all this Keith. We have seen him again so know where he is roughly. I just need luck as always to try and get some better chances.I'm lucky to have this to share though so can't complain.
    To the best of my knowledge that straw I can do little with. It shouldn't be running into the hare I'm as sure as I can be that nowt was actually in front of him,but the shooting hole through the morass of nettle and willow herd stems(plus sheep netting) was so tight anything is possible. If there is anything that might just be what is bothering me with the straw

take care buddy

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the explanation Stu.

7. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Really cute Baby Hare, Stu!

You have done well with the techs and there's nice detail on this little un'. I think it possible to enhance his beautiful looks a tad further, and how about a more adventurous crop, WDYT?

Glad you are having fun out there, keep up the good work my friend

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabby ,are you well mate? This is wicked thanks, yup, that works. Gabby he's brilliant,i genuinely think the cutest thing I have ever set eyes on. But his behaviour to actually see this tiny thing bolting through a flower meadow( a bit of old blightly long forgot), will be something i'll treasure for ever. So tiny he'd disappear in tumps of grass. I was watching him hone his, life skill, almost their reason to exist
    plauisbly for close to the first time. Gabby it was mesmerizing,this image came later. Earlier he was always too far but some little snaps to cherish Ahh mate you would have adored this too..... I know it. They are SOOOO vunerable at this stage Gabby, one never knows if one might see them again. It's such a critical time,he has a good chance here though

Ok down to business,the crop is fabulous Gabriela I'll always worry about cropping and IQ but at the viewing size I can see it looks lovely. Gabby have you done more you have,the straw(either side of neck especially),can you give me a little detail on what you did, please. I know I can't come back and try myself,but slowly i'm picking up little steps that will help later on.Have you worked on the BKG from somewhere quite low somewhere around my little chap's hind leg 1/2 way up. Also the greens are pulled back more transparent almost . Also hare and foreground straw pop more,you have done more than crop haven't you?

Thank you so much for your time and thoughts mate ,I'm doubting myself now you have done more haven't you?

Ahh Gabby he was sooo cool i've taken another clattering but these little guys are amazing I might share the other one shortly I can't stop smiling ever time I think of them

THANKYOU

stu

Ugg I have a bit of time and car is broken can't get to him

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good morning Stu,

So sorry to hear about the car trouble, hope it is not too serious and can be sorted soon? 6 am here and I am rushing to get to work, kindly drop me a PM with your email address and I will get back to you tonight. From what I remember I did nothing to the FG. Just cropped and tried to soften the BG a bit, a tiny curve adjustment applied selectively on the subject.

Have a lovely day Stu, and keep smiling please
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- what a cute little animal ! nice colours , slightly low on sharpness for my taste, but good enough. Agree with Rachel and Gabriela, a vertical crop was the way to go for this one .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, portrait format is the way to go on this one for sure. Get some frames in the bag, then swop format, saves cropping and damaging the I.

Overall I find the subject rather dark, so if you added any 'mid tone/gamma' I might back off, but opening the Darks & Shadows based on the OP helps for sure, but not ideal if it's the Raw.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Stu, portrait format is the way to go on this one for sure. Get some frames in the bag, then swop format, saves cropping and damaging the I.

Overall I find the subject rather dark, so if you added any 'mid tone/gamma' I might back off, but opening the Darks & Shadows based on the OP helps for sure, but not ideal if it's the Raw.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Hasseeb

Steve,thanks I'll check through what you have mentioned,he was very very dark in colour Steve as an individual much darker than any of the other ones I've seen. I'm just blowing clipping hilights on the straw Steve ,maybe I could have pushed exposure a bit further,but I'll go back tonight and muse. It's one of those scenes that with the rain and his colour, I might have gone to far in trying to replicate what I remember from the scene.

Many thanks
    Stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm just blowing clipping hilights on the straw Steve
    With PS you can use the adjustment brush to address this if it's just a tickle.

16. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu great that you got so close to this pretty youngster , so well done .
    A lovely classy pose of the subject which i quite like and the slight head turn makes it even better .
    I do agree that this frame cries for a vertical crop , i think you did quite well with your edits within DPP but i think i would have chosen a rather cool WB , as the image does look heavy on the yellow side from my POV . But as colors are subjective you might like the warmer version .
    For me the mid tones are looking quite right .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Stu great that you got so close to this pretty youngster , so well done .
    A lovely classy pose of the subject which i quite like and the slight head turn makes it even better .
    I do agree that this frame cries for a vertical crop , i think you did quite well with your edits within DPP but i think i would have chosen a rather cool WB , as the image does look heavy on the yellow side from my POV . But as colors are subjective you might like the warmer version .
    For me the mid tones are looking quite right .

TFS Andreas
    Thanks Andreas,very kind. Ahh buddy I smile every time I think of him Andreas can I ask you to give me a start point for a cooler WB, what K please? Yes the portrait just works so well for this one, I think I was so preoccupied with not getting anything in front of him I didn't even muse it in post,it's a good lesson Andreas.

Many thanks

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu as for the WB you have basically two easy options , the presets in DPP and the temp slider in combo with the tint sliders .
    I do not know what you have used with this image .
    From my POV Canon always make the WB a tad too warm for my liking , so i tend to go a bit cooler .
    I start with the color temp slider until i am happy , then i check with the eyedropper the lights and the shadows for casts .then i try to correct that with the temp slider and the tint sliders .
    If you have started with this one at i.e. 5500 K i would try with 5000 K or even lower depending on your taste and the light situation at the time of shooting .

Just my way of dealing with this .
    Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Stu as for the WB you have basically two easy options , the presets in DPP and the temp slider in combo with the tint sliders .
    I do not know what you have used with this image .
    From my POV Canon always make the WB a tad too warm for my liking , so i tend to go a bit cooler .
    I start with the color temp slider until i am happy , then i check with the eyedropper the lights and the shadows for casts .then i try to correct that with the temp slider and the tint sliders .
    If you have started with this one at i.e. 5500 K i would try with 5000 K or even lower depending on your taste and the light situation at the time of shooting .

Just my way of dealing with this .
    Cheers Andreas
    Thanks that's great Andreas.i'm aware of canon's warmth,tend to avoid the presets now find them too much most of the time. Thanks for the notes on your workflow,some useful insights there

many thanks my friend

stu