Thread: Red Tailed Hawk Number 3

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Tailed Hawk Number 3

Attached Images Attached Images

On my quest for member feedback on best image selection - i.e., still can look through 5-10 shots and not know which is best ... I post a third image from a RTH capture a short while ago.
    As always - C&C the wish for my learning.

Details: D500 with PF300 f4, HH, shot settings: 1/2000s, f5.6, 420mm, ISO 640 - no crop, NR in CS6 using Arash/Art's NR guide (as best I know how at this point).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay I would like to see a larger version of this bird,but what I see looks good ,bird stands out well against that bg.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure how to post a larger version. I'd love to. How do I?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, lovely flight pose showing off the wingspread, and well exposed on the underwings too. I do like the fanned tail. With regards to image size, Im not sure which software you use, but changing your image size to 1200 pixels wide before saving will achieve the desired size.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The problem is - when I go larger I exceed the 400kb size restrictions. What bit and other settings are you using. I'm down sampling from RAW to 16 bit tiff to jpeg. If I can make it smaller (space) I'd love to go large (size).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ing View Post
    The problem is - when I go larger I exceed the 400kb size restrictions. What bit and other settings are you using. I'm down sampling from RAW to 16 bit tiff to jpeg. If I can make it smaller (space) I'd love to go large (size).
    If you are exporting from photoshop , I use the shortcut "cont+shift+alt+s" and in that box after resizing to 1200 pixels wide you can lower the quality and see the size in kb. I have found i rarely need to go lower than 90% to get the right size. Took me for ever to figure that out lol.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

you got good under side details, but there is strong halo around the bird from using highlight and shadows. I wish his head was not slightly turned away from us.

you can post up to 1200 pixels large but you have to use save for web feature to make sure size is less than 300KB as you are not a full member

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's a larger version.
    Arash - it seems I'm able to post up to 400kb even on trial membership.
    I had seen the option to modify quality output (my final step has me doing resizes in Capture One Pro 10 but it's the same options/settings... I'd just not move it much as I didn't know how a reduction in quality would effect...hmmm, the quality. Seems not too much - at least not for web postings.

Also - public shout out on Art/Arash's NR guide. I've not read it all so I'm sure I'm still doing plenty wrong (or not at all) - but it sure has helped my images already. It WELL worth it's price.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird was heavily shadowed and then lifted with the shadow slide and has given it a very un-natural look. This is the problem with shooting birds flying overhead, they are shadowed below as the sun is normally above them. Keep practicing but look for opportunities with birds flying more level with the sun at your back. Good capture
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com