Thread: Polar bear

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polar bear

Attached Images Attached Images

Just to add some more diversity, Oh so cute, yet oh so dangerous!!!!

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) close-up resting on pack ice
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 500 f/4MKII with 1.4x MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO2000
    Original format: Landscape, very small crop
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As always wonderful details Steve,I really like the traces of blood from the last meal ,but what sets the image off for me is the sea I especially like that tonal graduation light to dark, bottom to top. The sea adds so much for me Steve brings a bit more colour to the images and I feel adds a lot of depth

I'd like just a tiny bit more at the base, buddy,right paw as viewed I find very close to the edge of frame Steve .

Pov has just struck me like a sledge hammer, is it taken from the side of a boat?

Interesting shot Steve cheers for sharing

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

This is to me a very captivating image. Excellent details and I agree with Stuart that the sea makes the image for me. I can't help but think about the impact of climate change when I see a frame like this. A minor nit from me but I would like to see the rest of the ear if its there -- if not it's still a very provoking image. TFS

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Steve - An unusual perspective that works. Exquisite detail in both the fur and the snow. Dof works well too. As posted it does seem a little flat and slightly dark to me, a simple and slight S curve on the bear gives it a bit of needed punch IMHO. WDYT? I too would prefer if the ear wasn't clipped and perhaps a bit more room below too. The water adds a nice bit of color.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pov has just struck me like a sledge hammer, is it taken from the side of a boat?
    From a very small ship Stu and I mean small and yes, through the mooring guide ropes hole.

Yes Alex, this is another species that will soon disappear and we can see the effects, whether we can do something in time I feel has passed us by. Contrary to some folks thinking 'Climate change' does exist sadly. Yes it is a very minor issue the clipped ear, but for me, it's not an issue as there is more going on.

Thanks Rachel, but I'm OK with the overall depth of tone here as it conveys what I want, the 's' curve for me rarely provides/generates much to the overall content as it just 'ticks' things at either end of the spectrum, where now days I prefer more 'targeted' applications within LR & PS.

7. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I Just love to see the details that you bring out in your images , absolutely fantastic. Certainly a different frame altogether, which is quite tight all around but it is fine for my taste as the viewer is drawn into the subjext right from the start. 50-50 on that ear , it somewhat bothering me. All in all a very nice frame .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Steve - the blood on the snout really takes it up a notch in terms of visual appeal...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Top qaulity as usual Steve,just enough blood to tell the story.

Keith.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image meets my aesthetic tastes and I find it quite thought provoking. I really like the perspective here Steve, not just "something different" but creates a sense of tranquility, this is a scene of solitude and the subject is completely unaware of your presence. I took my time to view this frame last night and was thinking of POV and how it can arouse, or dictate a certain feeling:instead of powerful and mean I now perceive this bear as rather powerful and noble, despite the presence of blood.

These are my thoughts, a successful frame IMO and I really think you managed to foreground features of this incredible animal which are usually lost in an ordinary frame. Beautiful detail and well exposed, super techs as always, great PP work. Thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whilst I normally prefer ultra low POVs this one does appeal to me with the pose you've got, I love the relaxed head on paws and it shows off the sizes well. The blood on the face adds some nice colours, and I like the RP from Rachel, just looks a little cleaner somehow. I agree that ideal world scenario would have the full ear in but not a deal breaker.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve a very cool frame from the POV ....POV . Love it .
    Quite unusual and makes me think to create such stuff at times ....next time with the seals , maybe ?
    Usual high standard in terms of technical stuff and the blood stains are adding some interest to the image . I do like the framing , but the clipped ear is a minor issue for me .
    I see where Rachel is coming from and i would agree that the image could stand some punch from my POV , not sure if i would just use a plain S curve . I would rather work on the channels for a tiny bit more punch .

Cool stuff , TFS Andreas