Thread: Are the critique forums running out of steam?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Are the critique forums running out of steam?

I am not sure where to post this. If this is not the correct forum I would kindly ask that a MOD move to a more appropriate place.

I joined this forum 2 years ago and greatly appreciated the critique and advice I was given on my posted images. For various reasons I have not been active on the forum for the last 6 months. I have now started posting again with three images posted in the last 5 days, I have also posted replies on 9 images. The three images have had 316 views between them. Of the three images one has received 2 replies and the other 2 have not received any. I have noticed that many other images have received little or no feedback. Is it a fact that people are less inclined to post critique now than was the case a few years ago or are we just going through a slow period?

David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I suppose it's a bit of both. It's no secret that social media has taken some momentum off of traditional forums, and those forums also experience ebbs and flows. We're no different, and at times it does seem slower than before. On average the traffic is likely less than it was say, a couple of years ago, but at times activity does pick up with new members and renewed energy. We still continue to have a strong and willing community, and we are still the best nature photography forum that does not encourage simple "great shot" comments on the net.

BTW, I am glad you are participating and replying to others images, that is the best way to continue to promote the sense of community. Keep it up!

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I feel the same but hopefully we can continue as it was before. This is been a great forum and very helpful with a lot of knowledgeable photographers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave,

Artie himself has been traveling a lot lately and some other mods are busy too, we also have had quite a few new members posting frequently so sometimes images get buried quickly before they have a chance to receive critique. Also naturally images that are more spectacular or from less common species get more views and most folks comments there (you see some photos with 15-20 comments and some with 0). We try to balance it out by commenting on images that have received fewer comments. As of today there are no other public website that provide peer critique for avian and wildlife photographs so I'm sure BPN will do well.

BTW, sometimes receiving one meaningful and direct critique is all you need to excel at the next opportunity
    best
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I often wonder about this as well. Always try my best to come and read and learn once a day because I find these boards very interesting and helpful. But I am not implying that people need to visit once a day. Also try and add comments and critique, especially to posts that have very little feedback. But I also have a job where I work for myself and have the luxury to make my hours. It does bother me a bit when I see people that have 100+ views and only one or 2 comments. The ones with no comments are even worse. Surely a higher percentage than that would have something kind or helpful to say. Positive reinforcement is often just as helpful and constructive criticism. I know that on many photos I have gone back and forth on certain issues like the exposure, saturation, contrast, etc. before I posted the shot. If I get positive feedback that is more helpful than a great shot then I know that my workflow is where it should be. The opposite is true as well of course.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 04-25-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And then there's folk like me who post a lot cuz' I have a lot to learn - but who don't say much more than - nice shot as I feel unqualified (at this point) to make too many suggestions. When my trial runs out and I join (and I will) then you'll be in real trouble though! Joining means your'e a pro, right? :)

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with what has been said by Daniel and Arash. The reality has always been that some people and images tend to get more comments. It's usually a matter of you get what you give so the more you comment on other people's images the more people are likely to comment on your images as you become friends and learn each other's styles, etc. As Arash said a great or unusual image is also always going to get more comments.

Some of the images that get no or fewer comments are posted by people who never comment on other people's images. They've been encouraged to and don't. Most people will give them a certain number of chances and then just move on when it's clear they would rather just post an image but not participate in other people's threads. We like to foster a sense of community where we are all learning from each other. To do so, people need to comment. Learning the critique process is just as important to improving your photography as getting the techs right.

Comments don't have to be technical in nature and no one should ever feel unqualified to comment. All we ask is that you tell us what you like or don't like about an image. Through that thought process you'll learn the critique process, think about the points when reviewing your own photography and eventually improve both in the field and in pp. The more you participate, the faster you learn as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ing View Post
    And then there's folk like me who post a lot cuz' I have a lot to learn - but who don't say much more than - nice shot as I feel unqualified (at this point) to make too many suggestions. When my trial runs out and I join (and I will) then you'll be in real trouble though! Joining means your'e a pro, right? :)
    Joining BPN does not mean that you are a pro. And feeling unqualified to offer a meaningful critique is simply a cop-out. Here is all that you need to do to do that: Look at the image. Ask yourself. Hat do I like about this image? Write that down. Then ask, "What don't I like about this image and write that down. Congrats, you have just written a meaningful critique. It is so simple that even a kindergartner can do it :)

With love, artie

ps;:i look forward to your trial running out :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cowling View Post
    I am not sure where to post this. If this is not the correct forum I would kindly ask that a MOD move to a more appropriate place.

I joined this forum 2 years ago and greatly appreciated the critique and advice I was given on my posted images. For various reasons I have not been active on the forum for the last 6 months. I have now started posting again with three images posted in the last 5 days, I have also posted replies on 9 images. The three images have had 316 views between them. Of the three images one has received 2 replies and the other 2 have not received any. I have noticed that many other images have received little or no feedback. Is it a fact that people are less inclined to post critique now than was the case a few years ago or are we just going through a slow period?

David
    David, For the past two years I have been crazy busy with all kinds of travel and the BAA Blog and my Used Gear Page and have been remiss in not getting on BPN very often. Here is an offer that you might find hard to refuse. Please send an e-mail to samandmayasgrandpa@att.net with a link to new images posting and I promise to comment on each and every one.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent comments by all above especially the amazing Mods.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello. I just returned to the Eager to Learn forum because, well, I'm eager to learn. Anyway. Correct. Not as many participating. But the level of criticism is very high. I'm learning a lot. And some of the super mods are dropping in from time-to-time to back up Tim. It is difficult for me to believe that the cost for this is very low.

Thanks to all.