Thread: Red-Tailed Hawk Pt.2

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-Tailed Hawk Pt.2

Attached Images Attached Images

Recently posted a shot of a RTH. The comments on the shot were positive but didn't like the lighting or busy background. I hope to post several shots of this same bird from didn't moments in the capture to see feedback on which is best (would like to just post several in one post for this purpose but the site won't allow multiple images so...

Here's the first one one got. Light on head is nice. No busy bkg...but, no action. Settings: 1/500s, f5.6, 420mm, HH - ISO 110

C&C welcome - esp. as compared to other hawk image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pose is nice as is the background.The bird is not sharp and has an odd look to it. Not sure what it is exactly but fine feather details are lacking and it looks almost like a painting. Lighting on the bird is very poor as most of it is shaded. The branches are mostly badly shaded and lacking in any details and character. I also don't like how the perch is dissecting through the bird. For me this is not a keeper.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Issac, nice handsome hawk but he does look quite soft on my screen too, those FG branches are distracting and I wish lower part of the bird was not shaded

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks both for the feedback. Helps me in future culling. Yes, this one is not as sharp as the other from the series... this was from the first set of shots taken when I saw the bird. (At least for me, my field practice is to shoot an initial shot (usual at some undesirable distance) and then slowly work to get closer or to change angles etc.) The distance was more than I would have liked and I was likely moving around more than I'd like from having run to spot (having see him from a good distance away). More in the series to come... let me know your thoughts on each... about 3 more...

Happy shooting!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good pose. Nice head angle but agree that the image is soft. Camera settings look ok so must have been a focus issue.