Thread: Star trails over Thurne Wind Pump

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Star trails over Thurne Wind Pump

Attached Images Attached Images

A long time since I posted here. This image is composed of 120 thirty second frames stacked in PS6. No light painting was needed on the wind pump structure as the ambient light was sufficient to give a good exposure. Best viewed on a black background.

Canon 5D3 Sigma Art Series 24mm lens @ f1.8. Shutter at 30 seconds. ISO 1000.
    Last edited by David Cowling; 04-15-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, David! I am only wishing there is a little bit more above the north celestial pole. You have a chosen a very good foreground to complement the sky.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Adhika. I know what you mean but at my latitude the pole star is quite high in the sky. To get any more in would have meant me stepping back into 20 ft of water! Another option would have been to angle the camera up which would have introduced distortion in the image. Compromise compromise...... (Shhh The real truth is that I had trouble identifying the pole star correctly!) Although all of the aforesaid would still apply.
    Last edited by David Cowling; 04-18-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David

I too love the foreground subject although maybe the blending around the hedges could be improved and maybe a bit more local contrast added to the grass. I also agree with Adhika that more above the pivot point of the stars would add to the image. I am sure the pole star is a lot more familiar to you now, so maybe a repeat shoot is in order?... I will have to admit to not being a particular fan of star trails but I always am impressed with the effort taken to get them...Well done to you.

DON

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I really like what you captured here and do agree on the pole star being a tad too high in the frame...a little less on the bottom would have gave you more up top. Composing these scenes at night can be tricky and I often find myself tweaking the compositions after reviewing what I just captured which can be a very time consuming task given the length of each exposure :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi David, Sorry for the late reply, when I saw this I though ut was just a touch to bright so I used a curve adjustment to see how it would look if toned down just a bit.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy