Thread: Wandoo repeat

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wandoo repeat

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys

Another attempt at the image I last posted. This time I have reshot the FG from a different position as suggested by Andrew to separate the trees. Clouds are composited in as per last image. I have placed the trees to the right of the image to balance against the darker clouds to the left. I like both images, but I think I like this one best (Thanks Andrew..) I have had feedback from my camera club however commenting that they prefer trees to the left as eye flows naturally left to right. Not sure that's what I do however as I often pick up a book and flick through it from back to front..... So what image do you prefer??

canon 1D4 and 500 F4 lens on tripod
    1/2500 sec @ F4, ISO 320

FG is 3 images stitched, BG clouds added which is also 3 image stitch from the same evening. Levels set and converted in ACR to Tiff and then final image stitched & merged in CS6. Please feel free to comment...!

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don, I absolutely love this. Not sure if I like the trees on the left or on the right better. My eyes flow more easily when the trees are placed on the right though, but like you said this varies from person to person and I don't mind this composition at all. I think Andrew's suggestion pays off really well, separating the tree does make a difference. To my eyes and mind, it adds tension to the image.

You have captured an absolutely gorgeous light and the clouds you selected complete the whole composition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition better here with the trees on the right. It seems to make for a more balanced image. If the trees were placed on the left that is where the eye would stop, on the right the eye flows through the image and then stops on the trees which are the subject of the picture. Good choice of sky and a good job of blending. The patch of blue sky behind the trees helps them to stand out.
    Last edited by David Cowling; 04-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Adhika and David.

Thank you both for your comments. This is my preferred composition also and its good to hear other views of other respected photogs to compare against your own thinking... Might have a crack at printing this one...

best regards

DON

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, I prefer this composition to the first one. The separation between the trees is a big help and I do love the dark storm clouds rolling in from the left. Are the trees in a position for a silhouette at sunrise or sunset?...I could see that being a very nice capture if they are...or perhaps a nightscape too?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments Andrew.. I can only see the trees looking south, ie the sunset/sunrise Silhouette is going to be difficult, however this puts the trees in a perfect spot as a FG for the milky way, and now is the time for that in the southern Hemisphere.. The difficulty I will have however is that I don't have astro tracking hardware and this shot is taken with a 500mm lens so I will have to work around that somehow.. With 500mm exposure times can't be more than a couple of seconds before the stars become significantly elongated... I could light the trees with a powerful flashlight maybe (or car headlights) maybe for their exposure. I do like the concept and the challenge however so while its likely the finished result will be another composite it could look good.. Thanks again for the input..

Don

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry for the late reply Don, Nice light and comp here the inage is nicely balance with the clouds and trees.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy