Thread: Grey Seal puppy for Stuart

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Seal puppy for Stuart

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...just posting this for the sport of it .
    It is basically about editing within Canon DPP software and its limitations ...... but in the end i think the output is not too bad , WDYT ?
    Even this is a tricky file to deal with .... as it was shot very high ISO and the contrast , both in tone and color is quite strong from my POV . So i was in the end surprised to create such clean file within just DPP , no further edits in PS .
    For sure i think the file could be improved within PS .......no question . It took me some time to deal with it in DPP to get it to the posted stage ....
    So Stuart ....it works to work exclusively within DPP .... just take your time and push the sharpening .....i was surprised how far i could go without creating visible artifacts on the downsized file .

Image taken on Helgoland

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L
    HH

F 10 ; Iso 25600; 1/1250 sec ; man exp + 0,3 EV

Processed with DPP 4.6 ; slight crop

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 04-11-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas,it is getting late for me,so for now,just a huge reply of thanks,I'll be back asap, please forgive. Tomorrow is looking to be a very long hard day,if I don't reply then please don't think ill of me. I think it's another amazing Andreas seal image it shows me 3 things how good DPP4 is how amazing that camera is at that iso and finally how good you are.
    I'm sorry I can't talk properly now,it isn't lack of gratitude,I hope you understand

Thank you SO much

Stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - It might be better to post this in Digital Photography Workflow with the straight OOC image and then the final image so that people can discuss the pp techniques in more depth. Let me know and I'll move it.

Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok Rachel you might move the frame ....from my side .
    Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks pretty good for crazy high ISO. I bet you can print it too
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, could you expand on the the posting here.

As Stu has the MKIV, probably ISO 6400 is about a comfortable limit for him, but lower is better. I thinks it's more a detailed WF that he needs, what to look for and key points in processing an image, as he has most of the VT clips from canon, although I think I may need to fwd a few more to complete things.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arash , Stu and Steve ....much appreciated .

Steve what should I expand ....on the posting ?
    Are you talking about the way I processed this in DPP ? Well also new to me ......as I never use it on regular basis like I did here . So also kind of an experiment what I can get out of DPP .....but I am surprised what I can achieve . And with a little more experience I bet the output will become even better .
    Good way to try out " new " ways ....or leave the regular path , might end up with less pixel works in PS ?! Stay longer in the raw stage !!!
    But who knows .. First of all I have to make myself comfortable with this .....before I fire something to somebody else .
    I agree that the MK IV is different ....but I could have taken a lower Iso frame for better comparison .It is not about the high iso with this one, it is more about the general question how far I can create a good output image straight from DPP .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, my friend,sorry slow in reply. In many ways this topic is quite fascinating it's not only the gift of help to me ,someone learning,(thank you). But also the approach taken by you a far more advanced and skilled photographer and post processor. I realise this post isn't about the high iso ,but it's cool having what is perhaps,a more tricky file to deal with. I also feel that at any stage of expertise going back and re evaluating the use of ones tools is always interesting. I find the latest incarnation of DPP fantastic,I am sure I can't get to the level of PS ,where selective options are available but it's so much better than what was previously available

Andreas it would be fascinating to know what you did in DPP your work flow there,and to also have your thoughts on what you might do differently, to what you do in your more normal workflow utilising PS.

Andreas I know already I push sharpening much further than I feel I will later on when finally I can have access to both post engines,I have posted images sharpened to 8 ,due you feel this can be pushed further. Also i've been trying to grab as much detail by often using the fine detail picture style. This seem to apply an unsharp mask of 4....1....1 Do you feel this is the best way of maximising sharpness if one can only access DPP$4 in one's workflow,like me?

Have you used the colour spectrum palette to enhance detail further here.

Buddy thank you,this might be of use to many beyond me,it's might already be thought provoking to others of more experience. Andreas I'm a simple man i've always felt that canons processor is the best place to start to process a canon image. Canon have written all the programmes or algorythms etc. I know there is that huge limitation of no layers, no selective processing,but the way it treats the flies I find amazing at times, and I find myself pushing things further as I get more confidence,without the expected issues I would have had in say DPP3 whenre shadows for example went a sort of muddy grey when boosted too hard.

He he mate, it's also such a lovely image,cheers for your incredible kindness

take care

Stu