Thread: The laughing assassins

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The laughing assassins

Attached Images Attached Images

Apologies for my recent absence as I've been busy with some wildlife charity projects.

A pair of hyena finish off a wildebeest on the morning grassland plains of the Serengeti - Nth Tanzania.

This was taken around 10.00am and I was fortunate to have consistent medium cloud cover granting me a degree of filtered light.

With the approval of a TANAPA ranger in the vehicle (we were transferring him to another outpost) I was able to get out and lay low on the ground, granting me this favourable POV.

Nikon D5
    Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8E FL VRIII + 1.4tc
    1/1000s
    f/11
    ISO360@ 280mm.

I leave tomorrow for 15 nights to the Pantanal/Brazil in search of Jaguar...........I live in hope ..........until then

Cheers
    Marc

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Marc - Have a great time and good luck in Brazil. Looking forward to seeing your images and also having you around to post and comment more when you get back (hint, hint). The low pov really makes this image. I do feel that the hyenas and wildebeest are a little dark for the conditions you described. The hyena look more brown/muddied than I would expect. I usually think of them as having some more red tones. I think you can bring them up a bit without introducing noise. Here's a very quick rp just to give you an idea.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- I really missed your postings, coz your images are so very different , and always something to learn, big fan of your photography. This image is so lovely considering all the Hyena images we get to see om various platforms. Loved the low POV and the interacting look of the two. I might crop from lhs as i feel the space is dead even though the Hyena on the rhs is looking in that direction. Also I too find Rachel's RP improving this image by providing some much needed brightness and eliminating that dark feel to it.

Wish you all the best for your Jaguar trip, Hope you get some amazing images of the specie and we get to see them here at BPN .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc, very cool and gritty frame. I think Rachel's Rp improved the image, although full disclaimer I've never seen these guys in real life. Best of luck on your jaguar trip -- I had a pleasure of seeing one during a field course / field work a year or so ago, it was an absolutely amazing sighting. TFS

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Marc,

Just wanted to add I too like this scene, superb POV and well framed. What really grabs me is the pose from the two protagonists who seem to have a serious conversation over the kill, maybe a slight dispute?

Very well seen and captured, in terms of processing I do prefer Rachel's version as it helps reveal more detail on the hyenas.

And I really hope you found your jaguar by now... I cannot wait to see the images from this trip

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great angle, colour and clarity here mate - nice one.
    Eager to see more - though I have also been sporadic in my visits here due to my studies.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this image. The angle, the opposing poses of the hyenas, the super background. Well executed image.