Thread: Sparring Marmots

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparring Marmots

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...
    here is my contribution to this month theme .
    Alpine Marmots from Filzmoos in Austria .....this chaps were having a gentle fight ...well more kind of a discussion .

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 500 IS L
    Tripod

F 9 ; Iso 1250 ; 1/2000 sec ; well i think i could have gone away with lower Fstop .

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS CC 2017 ; cropped for comp slightly

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous thread

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, nice interaction, I never got two together, only the one sadly. F/9 looks good to me, you had enough SS & ISO certainly. With the sun and overall colour palette it's probably quite faithful, but if it was me, I might reduce the saturation a bit, I find it's a little heavy for my tastes and up the exposure by a third+. I might also look to opening up the MT2's, or lights working in your 'realm' and going from memory. Get a bit more tonal value from the face at least. Probably the location was shrouded by the trees, but I still feel you can get some more range. A bit unfortunate about the bright highlight by the face, might want to look at that perhaps??

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for your comment ... much appreciated .
    Apart from the saturation i do agree with you ... tried your suggestion and the frame does look slightly better .But i was not able to get rid of that blob without loosing the fine hairs !!!!! And i want to keep them ....
    Tried all different masking techniques and filters i have .... and i have some of them ....i was always ending with a kind of haloing around the hairs !!!!!!
    Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the lighting and interaction between this pair Andreas, very nice detail in the fur and the BG is what it is of course, eliminating the lighter area above the head wouldn't be easy.
    Can't believe the size of the lower incisor!

TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's fine Andreas.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Great interaction and sharpness. Love that there are catch lights in each of their eyes. The visible teeth also take this up a notch. The hl near the head doesn't distract too much and it would be difficult to not affect the fine hairs as you said. I actually find my eye wandering to the small rock on the right more. The marmots do seem a bit darker than our North American marmots (at least the few I have seen). I also like that we can see the tail of the one on the left.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, great look and interaction between these two. Understandable that it would be near impossible to move that top highlight. Agree that the rock to the right could go and that the matching catchlights work well together. I love how soft the fur looks here and great sharpness throughout. Must've been a fun sight to watch these guys go at it. TFS

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

Those cuties show some mean teeth, I am just wondering how serious this sparring business can get sometimes?

Very well captured, nice techs, lovely detail and colours, HA is great. All works for me. The "blob" did not bother me too much until it was mentioned, LOL.

A fun image with an interesting behaviour aspect, wonderful work Andreas!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- What a lovely moment and timing on your part ! I liked the details , which always there in your images and the sharp sword like teeth, adding immensely to the image . I am fine with the BG as the two marmots are not allowing the eyes to wander her e and there. A very nice image .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much folks for your kind comments .... as always much appreciated
    Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always so stunning in execution Andreas,I appreciate what Steve mentioned about the image being sort of heavy. In some ways they seem so solid so robust ,that weight caused by being slightly under feels right to me,I hope you understand this,it's difficult to express in my native tongue for me buddy. Andreas the blob doesn't bother me ,I find the play fight fascinating and the teeth incredible

I love their colour I don't know then Andreas but I love the colours portrayed here

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas not seen many of these but the colour looks good and very natural to me,the bg is what it is ,think the pose that you have captured and the fact that they are showing the teeth holds the viewer to the subjects,very well caught.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu and Keith for your kind comments ..much appreciated .