Thread: The Wind Blows My Mane !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Wind Blows My Mane !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone , Thank you for your Comments on my previous post .

Here is a Lion image inspired by Recent Gabriela postings . Got this Male after a long wait before he finally walked out, had long gaze in the savannah and then sat down with bothering to give a head turn .

DPP 4.5 , CS 6 , WB , curves , levels , selective colour , cropped from RHS and top of the frame , sharpening .

Canon 5D MK III , Canon 500mm f4 IS II , Bean Bag.

1/2500 sec; f/4.0; ISO 4000.

All your C&C's are most welcome.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, nice 'majestic' male in a cool pose. I'm just wondering if a bit more below and a fraction less above may help, as the road/track doesn't worry me too much, although not ideal, but hey, you waited long enough for him. IQ has suffered a bit here I feel looking at some of the dark mane and the depth of detail, (perhaps showing the limitation of this camera now, but you have the 1DX MK2 now is so no worries), however here you could have dropped some SS and gained some more DOF. If you are using DPP perhaps try Fine detail as Andreas does, although I know he does a truck load more, but it may help, worth a punt so you can compare.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Certainly a majestic male and I too don't mind the road here. It allows us to see the front paws. I like the slight head turn and wind blown look. The pov is nice too with you being slightly below him. I think the detail is all there, the blacks and darks are just a bit strong and can be opened in pp. I would also reduce the blues in the blacks. I am curious if you processed this now or back in 2015, the date of your copyright notice. Either way, the image is worth a few tweaks.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel and Steve !

@ Rachel : This has been processed yesterday only, but the image is from Nov/Dec 2015 trip. Agree with you on the blues , will get that sorted .

@ Steve: Techs were more in anticipation of him walking around but agree could have stopped down the aperture.

I have increased the blacks in selective colour to make blacks in the mane a bit strong as seen on him, but that has resulted in slightly crunchy look .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have increased the blacks in selective colour to make blacks in the mane a bit strong as seen on him, but that has resulted in slightly crunchy look .
    I assume Haseeb you have kept the layered file of this i.e. the 'Master file' (PSD Tiff) and so all you need to do is switch the layer off, although the Histogram is not showing any signs of clipping in the blacks. If however, you have not kept the layered master file and have to restart all over again and you do 'lift' the Blacks, will you then be adding more 'visible' noise back into the image?????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do have the layered file of this image and will work on this to make it better. Hopefully I will try and do a RP tonight , if time permits .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Haseeb,

Beautiful pose from this stunning male lion and I like the scene overall. Nice techs too! How come you never shared this before, I love it!

I do agree with comments from Steve and Rachel but I am sure those few issues mentioned are easy fix for you, I would personally like to see the RP if you have the time.

BG is wonderful and so smooth, the subject stands out so well. Really pleased to see this, I can never have enough of lion images, my friend:)

Have a great evening, and happy PP work
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb I concur on the track,it's really cool seeing those big powerful front feet,I don't have the expertise on the techs,but strangle do find the oof bush? towards the top far left a slight distraction,wonderful wind on the mane this really adds for me.
    Fantastic work please share more

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a RP , Based on the above suggestions . I have also cloned out the branch as pointed out by Stu . WDYT ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks better Haseeb, but a bit more DoF as I said earlier, something for next time.

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb the op looks fine to me really natural with the mane blowing in the wind,that is one magnificent beast very well caught.

Keith.

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb a lovely specimen with a great regal pose .... fitting well to this very nice guy .
    Looks like a proud lion !!!!!
    All looks good with your RP for my taste as i was also thinking the blacks are a bit strong .
    Love the overall clean appearance and the nice color palette .Just wish you could create some finer detail in the subject if it is in the file ....

TFS Andreas

17. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You just can't beat a lush green habitat to enhance an image Haseeb, proud & regal indeed, and a beautiful maned male at that!
    Not finding the road too bothersome and apart from a few small issues, the RP is better also, nicely seen.

TFS

19. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone . Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated .