Thread: Double Crested Cormorants

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Double Crested Cormorants

I am still getting used to this body, but am loving the ability to get better shots in less than ideal conditions. I took this yesterday. I saw the cormorants from a distance on a lake I know well. I knew that I had a chance to sneak up on them and get some shots off before they flew. This was my favorite of the bunch. Canon 5D4 100-400 IS2 with a 1.4 tele. 1/1000 sec, ISO 1000, F9

Name:  256A7749-XL.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  217.9 KB

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the bird flying away Michael but both heads look soft. Not sure where the sensor was. Maybe the crop is affecting it some.Caught nice wing extension and head angles on both birds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Michael, just a few critiques… horizon is off needs to be rotated a bit, the water is going uphill.
    Also the image is on the soft side, and since you have both birds looking right into the frame there is no real focal point, plus the bit of wood sticking out on the right needs to be cloned out.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the critiques and tips. I cloned out the wood in the upper left, but was unable to rotate the image because the bottom and right edges are the original. There was cropping done on the Left and top. Can't do much about where the birds were looking. I will add another image of the birds that I like better for the subjects, but it has its own problem. The ripples in the water are actually waves in a lake, so the water is not really uphill, though it might look so. I think if the image were rotated the birds would not look horizontal. The soft focus is a little puzzling. Looking at the original image, I may have missed my target. I think I was trying to focus on the eye of the bird on the left, but moved the camera as the other bird took off, so the focus may have been on the water. Not sure.Name:  i-64tgNjr-XL.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  221.4 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is the shot I like better. A bit more cropping. Unfortunately there was a twig in front of my lens somewhere that I did not notice in the heat of the moment. Don't think there is any fix for this. It is actually there in the first pic as well, just not as noticeable.Name:  i-ZNTBm85-XL.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  131.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Michael, I do like the repost better except for the soft area on the bottom right, probably something in the foreground. Your images are still not level, they are higher on the right.
    It is best judged by the concentric circles in the water. I hope the attached will help you.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tim. I do see what you are referring to regarding level now and will see what I can do with the image. The place that you circled in blue probably was something (probably a twig) that was in front of me and I didn't notice it when trying to get the pics. I knew I only had a moment before the birds flew. Wish I had seen it as I find the same area distracting (soft) on both images. Still one of my better captures of these birds showing those crescents. Thanks for your help.