Thread: THE yawn Brown hare UK, Lepus europeas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 THE yawn Brown hare UK, Lepus europeas

Attached Images Attached Images

I know guys another ,but if you graft sooner of later an image or two has to come,and hey, I love them what can I say

Ahh guys this frame is hard,this is right at the end of the best grooming session I've ever had,i'm close, focal points following her head/eye are going always. This happened and I just wasn't good enough,so clipped the feet,I could almost cry but wont 'cause I'll go back and one day So a slight crop for comp top and left. HH dry stone wall elbow for support.Shot again on that bank,she I say she might just be nursing a biggish leveret ,We'll see,it's all wrong time/season wise ,buuuuut. It's around 1/2 hour before sunset,clear blue sky for WB ref.

Processed in DPP4 still too yellow????
    Canon 1Div 300f2.8 2x extiii
    1/1250
    f7.1
    iso 2000

Thanks for all the thoughts previously folks, hope you are all having a lovely weekend

take care

Stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, I think the first and perhaps main issue is, that's it's just too close to the bottom of the trim. Just moving the lens down a fraction and you would have been almost there in term of cropping/framing. This is where just concentrating through the lens is so important as you may not have been able to check the screen for composition, NOT colour. Techs look good and the posting is sharp, it just needs a bit more sharpening, that's all. The small yawn is nice, but in an ideal world would have liked the ears up, not swept back .

Processed in DPP4 still too yellow????
    To me that is a hard question on this one because of the warm light bathing the whole capture, plus there may be other factors that you may have also introduced to the image through PP which may also have some baring on the overall look. By tweaking various colour sliders yes you can address the the colour which then in turn brings back more detail in fact. So there is a dilemma on how far you go perhaps???? Just a thought, if DPP allows you to make a duplicate of the RAW, just look at the pre-sets for WB as you might find something better which just needs a slight tweak i.e. auto, shade, daylight...

Stu I'll pop something down to you.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Stu, I think the first and perhaps main issue is, that's it's just too close to the bottom of the trim. Just moving the lens down a fraction and you would have been almost there in term of cropping/framing. This is where just concentrating through the lens is so important as you may not have been able to check the screen for composition, NOT colour. Techs look good and the posting is sharp, it just needs a bit more sharpening, that's all. The small yawn is nice, but in an ideal world would have liked the ears up, not swept back .

To me that is a hard question on this one because of the warm light bathing the whole capture, plus there may be other factors that you may have also introduced to the image through PP which may also have some baring on the overall look. By tweaking various colour sliders yes you can address the the colour which then in turn brings back more detail in fact. So there is a dilemma on how far you go perhaps???? Just a thought, if DPP allows you to make a duplicate of the RAW, just look at the pre-sets for WB as you might find something better which just needs a slight tweak i.e. auto, shade, daylight...

Stu I'll pop something down to you.

TFS
    Steve
    Steve,yes to the first part, I concur completely. A very hard lesson as I didn't do too bad framing wise on everything else, around the yawn. But I got caught here I have no excuses,my dexterity with the focal points was found wanting.Really hard Steve because it's one of my favourite images from last night so rare to even get that chance. But hard lessons are good for me.
    The presets I oft find too coarse Steve,I will dig at this though thanks for the tip. I am fighting with myself on warmth Steve I know without thinking I go too warm I have to rein it in a bit. But due to circumstances I haven't been able to make images in the golden hour for ages,so I feel very rusty on processing of same. Hence me drawing attention to this aspect.

Ears up would be portrait as the only option,I know they are attractive up,but this position means she and I are good she is utterly relaxed. Steve it's such a privalige to be with them close and chilled, to me the ears are almost a trade off. The ears are what i'm reading Steve my whole technique to get in with them is based on what those big ol ears are doing.

I'll never be able to repay you mate. I came home last night and I'd got there most of the time. Naturally I've shown what made me smile first,warts and all, But to sit last night and struggle to delete because all the effort you have put into my photography is slowly starting to show is a testiment to you and of course all the other folks.

Must dash i'll grab the mail later please forgive hares to chase

Cheers

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu - Another nice encounter with the hare. The open mouth makes it a bit unusual. Yes, to it being much too tight at the bottom. For me, it's not the yellows that are too strong but the reds throughout the image. I reduced them in this rp. There's also some strange banding/noise/artifacts in the upper left corner. Not sure if it is there in the RAW or introduced in your pp.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stuart you seem to have luck with this lady , i like the pose even with the ears back .The yawning is a very nice addition .
    I am with the others regarding the crop ....a shame you did not recognized it in the field , but this does happen to all of us . Just learn and try to avoid it in the future .
    Regarding the color ... matter of taste , i think it does work in general as posted .
    From PP POV and knowing your limitations within DPP , i think you can still improve things as follows :

Gamma +10 : orange Sat - 2/3 ; yellow Hue +5 - 10 ; yellow lightness - 10 ....just a thought

I do not see any noise / banding / artifacts .... no way to add any banding within DPP as far as i think . And Iso 2000 is acceptable with the MK IV . I think it is in the raw file .

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Stu,

A bit late to the party but I just want to say I love the way you captured this Hare, ears bent backwards and yawn!

And sorry but I have to mention the framing again, I know you already heard this from everyone but if we all complain I guess you'll remember next time The colours look good to me and so is sharpness, I do feel a tad more sharpening is needed to the face though. Looking forward to an RP from you based on advice you received... I think you are making great progress with PP work, mate

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- You really had some great time with these creatures. The techs are well covered here , the only thing I also felt was the need of sharpening on the face , rest of the things you will grasp by spending more time on the field , especially the framing part . Keep them coming .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Stuart you seem to have luck with this lady , i like the pose even with the ears back .The yawning is a very nice addition .
    I am with the others regarding the crop ....a shame you did not recognized it in the field , but this does happen to all of us . Just learn and try to avoid it in the future .
    Regarding the color ... matter of taste , i think it does work in general as posted .
    From PP POV and knowing your limitations within DPP , i think you can still improve things as follows :

Gamma +10 : orange Sat - 2/3 ; yellow Hue +5 - 10 ; yellow lightness - 10 ....just a thought

I do not see any noise / banding / artifacts .... no way to add any banding within DPP as far as i think . And Iso 2000 is acceptable with the MK IV . I think it is in the raw file .

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas,I take too long posting,so here is hopefully a more refined version. I have used your thoughts as a base to kick off from,I found the colours too muted
    Red H0 S-1 L0
    Orange H-4 H0 L0
    Yellow H5 S0 L-6
    All other colours remain at default
    Andreas I found it very hard to reduce the orange ,there is a vibrance to their colour we are both pondering at this time ,but I did try exactly as you stated and then worked from there until I felt happierName:  _70F7825.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  385.5 KB
    Thank you so much my friend ,I'm am very grateful for both your time and expertise
    WDYT?

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Dear Stu,

A bit late to the party but I just want to say I love the way you captured this Hare, ears bent backwards and yawn!

And sorry but I have to mention the framing again, I know you already heard this from everyone but if we all complain I guess you'll remember next time The colours look good to me and so is sharpness, I do feel a tad more sharpening is needed to the face though. Looking forward to an RP from you based on advice you received... I think you are making great progress with PP work, mate

Kind regards,
    He he I knew you would slap me Gabby,but rightly so,that was the mantra get clobbered ,OWN my mistake. Mind who get to see a hare yawn, I nearly got there . If I can get the RAW sharpness right then you guys point out what's needed beyond that i'll be armed for later ,when life gives me a break..

Gabby I have much much more,we even have a little ones,utterly perplexing,they shouldn't be here now,we have had a mild winter,but my spot is high above sea level,always two coats colder up there. Little steps Gabby,slowly I feel i'm starting to get there. This is the hardest bit for me, has been for a long time,all the craft goes out of the window with a base error,so simple to address

Hey ho, I'm not done yet

Haseeb thank you yes we have been back over and over and........ Thanks on the sharpeniong comment

take care both

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu in terms of color i am more ok with the greens/yellows , but think the red/orange is a tiny bit too saturated and too light .
    But this is for sure a personal view and you were there . I might drop the gamma by + 15 or even 20 and then open up the shadows fraction ..... all saying this without knowing what you have used in DPP .

I might also raise the sharpening a fraction ..... just experimenting within DPP .... to see what i can get out of a frame like you work .... meaning i just use DPP and no PS for my next posting .
    Lets see what others say .... about this

Cheers and keep up experimenting .

Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Stu in terms of color i am more ok with the greens/yellows , but think the red/orange is a tiny bit too saturated and too light .
    But this is for sure a personal view and you were there . I might drop the gamma by + 15 or even 20 and then open up the shadows fraction ..... all saying this without knowing what you have used in DPP .

I might also raise the sharpening a fraction ..... just experimenting within DPP .... to see what i can get out of a frame like you work .... meaning i just use DPP and no PS for my next posting .
    Lets see what others say .... about this

Cheers and keep up experimenting .

Andreas
    Hey Andreas,

buddy thank you so much for your interest and your thoughts.Being late in the day I want to keep that warmth,I suppose that late warm light will add to the saturation of the red/ oranges? I played alot with the reds, trying to learn what Rachel was showing me. But the orange seems to be critical. It's fine tuning seems for me,to be of great importance. I spent a long time first just working with your suggestions,but felt each time I pulled the orange back I'd "lost" something. Andreas you input already has been fabulous for me,I feel I have learnt a bit more already ,especially how tweaking the colour seems to add a bit more detail. I'll stop there and see if we get any more thoughts on the repost.
    Thank you again ,you use of DPP is so skilled ,I love the detailed way you work,so much to learn

Stu