Thread: Mmm, All You Can Eat Salad Bar

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mmm, All You Can Eat Salad Bar

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have many rodent images but thought I would post one. This is an Uinta Ground Squirrel taken near the Moulton Barns in Grand Teton N.P. They only come out once it warms up so the light was a bit strong.

Canon 7DII
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/1250
    f6.3
    ISO 400
    HH while lying down, cropped to about 75% of ff, levels, curves, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- Your subjects have always those fine details which makes the image so pleasing to view . Light looks strong but you have done extremely well IMO. I also liked the settings and the way the subject is contrasting against it. Really liked this one !

I dont have any rodent images but will try to get some this sunday morning , want to be a part of this months theme .

TFS !

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Rachel, excellent perspective and nice control of the DoF here. The choice of pano crop also fits the bill too and nice to see a bit more SS .

As presented, I feel it's looking a bit 'cool' providing both the subject & environment a little 'blue' albeit not blue, just an expression. Adding some Channel Curves with Saturation I think brings a bit more 'richness' to whole scene and warms things up a bit more, without using a straight forward Saturation adjustment which will be too severe IMHO as it's more of a Global application than specific. But Like Haseeb's image, it's just my take and interpretation on the OP.

If you take it into PS and 'arrange' the two side by side you can compare easily the differences.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb and Steve. Steve - rp looks good. Btw not a pano crop. It's still 4x6.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is just lovely, Rachel. I think your little Uinta is much prettier than my ground squirrels:)

Great techs, love the detail, HA, very nice framing. Sharpness is spot-on. Steve's RP adds a little vibrance and warmth, I admit I am always jealous of his fine tweaks

Been looking for Theme images and found a little KTP rat from my last trip - I have just one frame and it requires a huge crop, will see what I can do. Squirrels galore but will "spread" those images throughout the month, otherwise you'll get bored and stop looking
    Really enjoyed your post and I like the behaviour aspect with this little one enjoying his "salad bar", well seen and captured, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous image Rachel lovely pov and you have handled the light so so well very very cute too. I do like the warmth of Steve's repost,but I lean towards that anyway,so difficult being truly objective. Always that killer detail Rachel beautifully executed. Part of the joy for me of being here is seeing all these different animals from around the world,this one is new to me .
    Cheers for sharing a fine shot as always Rachel

take care

Stu

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel ...lovely image of this cutie .
    I am fine with the crop and the overall look of the OP .... i do like the colors more than Steve´s RP ...just wish you would add a bit more tone to the 1/4 tones .
    I like the fine detail in the fur and that glossy eye ....

TFS Andreas

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, Stu and Andreas, much appreciated.