Thread: Mesmerising Eyes !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mesmerising Eyes !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone !

Thank you for your comments and suggestions on my previous post .

Here is another one of the same Tigress Dotty with those lovely eyes . She came quite close at this instance but sense prevailed and we backed off to keep a safe distance and the tigress kept on moving .

You fill find the techs not at all ideal but believe me such " out of no where" kind of sightings leads to such mistakes, didn't even checked the settings and started to shoot before i realised and made the necessary adjustments but not before capturing few frames including this one. This is not an excuse and hope to build on such errors for something similar if and when i get to see it again. But luckily this time got off .

DPP 4.5, CS6, curves, levels, selective colour, colour balance, saturation, sharpening, added a slight canvas on the left side of the frame , rest is FF .

Canon 1DX MK II , Canon 500mm f4 IS II, Bean Bag.

ss 1/800, f/4 , iso 1600 .

All your C&C's are most welcome .

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - You have really stepped up your photography and pp. Love the head on, walking pose with the raised paw. Yes, techs might bot be ideal but looks sharp where it matters. I do think it needs a bit of ccw rotation but that will put the tiger even closer to the left edge. If it were mine, I would drop the yellows in the whites slightly. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb something out of nowhere I appeciate,we all learn from our mistakes,but this is so cool ,I can feel her. I like the slight blur front paw ok maybe more dof, but her face, her stare, goes through you. It just works for me Haseeb Maybe that lack of dof emphasises her stare . For me a stunning tiger portrait a classic in many ways. Wonderful Haseeb she makes me shiver

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, you have ticked my box with this one, as I love to shoot big cats or any other animal walking towards camera, thank you.

Firstly a suggestion, when you load up the Gipsy switch you camera on and dial in some setting prior i.e. f/5.6, SS 1/1600, frame rate etc so you have an initial platform for such an event. I'll take a few frames early on and adjust accordingly, then I will keep taking the old frame and assess, this may help you.

The techs are not too bad, yes perhaps f/5.6 - f/8, 1/1600 for walking ISO 3200, but you did well and all if you have the Cases right this too will help, perhaps expand the FP too. Overall yes its a bit tight, but I feel the image looks a bit drab/dull in it's appearance, nothing to do with the exposure, just the colour, but just may initial take. Again, how far you take this is to a certain extend personal choice, but some WB, Tonal Curve, Colour balance adjustments then perhaps rotate and add a bit more separation between environment & subject. The 'environment' could go darker, richer etc it's all subjective, just throwing some options out there for consideration .

As I say, the above are just my own thoughts, I just think it needs a bit more 'pop' compared to the OP as you have it ALL there in the original capture, it's just some simple tweaks trust me.
    TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, you could go a bit further... you have a world of choice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank You Rachel, Steve , and Stu, appreciate your comments !

@ Steve - I had processed three versions, one of them with less yellows in the BKG and slight more punch. Then compared the OP with that version and in the end i decided for posting the OP . I think something between the OP and your last RP will work better as it provides necessary refinements and also eliminates the yellows in the whites as pointed out by Rachel. Will try and post a version tonight .

And thanks for tip on how to prepare the camera before jumping into the vehicle, sounds very useful .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Look forward to seeing a RP, but it's not just Yellow, you need to 'juggle', well certainly with regard to the OP as other colours affect the overall look, as it looks/appears what I would call 'muddy'. This is why I like the way LR & ACR works because you drill down in order, albeit that I work backwards first of all because of my choice of WF. Once you have balanced the WB, then tweak it to getting more in keeping with your thinking I would try NOT to use Saturation, it may help you, but perhaps later it might be applied in part? Also don't be afraid to isolate and work on other areas and 'build' the image, as Adjustments, Layers & Masks are your best friend once you have Exported to PS.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don't those eyes just drill into you - you can see how some talk about the cat hypnotising prey once the eyes lock.
    As soon as I saw this, the technicals didn't even occur to me because it is such a strong image and shows the importance of getting the eyes in focus.

Our next big trip is either tigers or the Pantanal and images like this certainly tip the balance!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty, Haseeb - congratulations!

Love the POV and eye contact, raised paw, swishy tail. BG is superb.
    Good suggestions above and lovely RP's from Steve. I think you didn't do too bad yourself with PP work, hope we get to see your RP but also more images from this sighting, what a pleasure to view, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb what an encounter .....
    I like everything about the frame , i agree about those eyes ....simply stunning !!!
    Well as colors are a subjective think .... i am puzzled about the different versions ....Steve has added some clarity with his color treatments , image does look cleaner from my POV in both versions . I just think the lighter parts on the forehead do look a bit washed out .
    How was the file exposed ? Any clipping in the ears and whites above the eyes ? As the red channel is clipped in the post .

Nevertheless a stunning frame ....that i would like to have in my collection !!!!!
    Great work , Haseeb

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela , Mike and Andreas !

The original file has the blacks clipped but not the whites .

@STeve -- I think I will go with the OP , coz after having a look these couple of days , I still feel the OP represents the scene more accurately , hence i decided not do a RP , except i feel the whites in the tigers can be a bit better as pointed out in above comments.

Thank you everyone for you C&C's , they are indeed very helpful as always , please keep them coming .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I still feel the OP represents the scene more accurately , hence i decided not do a RP
    Not a problem Haseeb, that's your call.