Thread: American Black Duck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Black Duck

I have taken 100's of Black Duck images but they are always too far and or going away. American Black Ducks are in my experience the most shy and wariest of the duck species on the east coast. So I was really pleased to finally get a shot of one in range and slightly in front. He was interested in a Mallard Hen and did not spot me as early as he normally would have. I wish I had more ss here but it was a trade off with ISO. If I had it to take again I would have used 1/2000, f5.6 but I find IQ suffers with the 1.4III extender at f5.6 so I usually stop at f6.3 and leave it.
    I am unsure if this is a purebred or a Black Duck Malard hybrid. I think the warm early morning sunshine is making him appear lighter than he really is. Also unsure about the white trim around the color plumage. I have read that indicates purebred.

1/1600, f6.3, auto ISO-2500, +0.7 ev, 500 F4E + 1.4III, D500. 25% crop with the space available above and behind. I tried to add canvas to the bottom but there is too much detail to get it to look unedited. cc
    Name:  BD bpn-jpss.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  264.6 KB
    Last edited by John Whaley; 04-06-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- great job getting close enough here. I've tried a number of times but only have pictures of these guys flying away. The shadow on the face isn't ideal but not a deal breaker and not much to do about that. I feel that the image could use a bit more 'pop' as it looks a little flat as is. Thanks for sharing and congrats again on getting a frame of this guy!

3. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post