Thread: Costa Rican - Baird's Trogon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Costa Rican - Baird's Trogon

Attached Images Attached Images

Came upon this rare (near threatened [5000-] Baird's Trogon while out with my guide one morning while is the OSA rainforest. Was able to follow him around to a few different perches but this was likely the best shot.

Details: Nikon D500, 300 PF f4, Handheld. Settings: 1/400s, f5.6, 420mm, resulting in ISO 4000. Post in CS6 and NR is NeatPhoto - one bright spot in BG removed as distracting.

C&C welcome. TIA.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice looking bird. I like the detail you managed to capture. I would have liked a better POV, but not easy with a bird like this. There seems to be some colour cast on the image?

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay,
    This is a wonderful bird to capture. I tried in CR in January but didn't get anything.
    I am afraid this image has a very odd color cast ( likely due to harsh filtered sunlight).
    HA looks good but the eye end eyebrow area are in shadow which hurts the image somewhat.
    I think this image has potential and would rework it,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don't know if this was the direction you were pointing me to. Here was a quick color shift (attempt).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay -- I'm still seeing a color cast -- I hope you don't mind but I quickly pulled the image into lightroom and reduced saturation on the yellows significantly and somewhat in the oranges, is this more along the lines of what you saw? Theres some artifacts of the color cast in the blacks and whites that could be corrected via the raw file. Light is still a bit harsh on the head and oranges may be a bit hot. I hope this helps a bit

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks a lot better now Alex. Maybe your monitor needs calibrated Jay. There is an obvious cast.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Hi Jay -- I'm still seeing a color cast -- I hope you don't mind but I quickly pulled the image into lightroom and reduced saturation on the yellows significantly and somewhat in the oranges, is this more along the lines of what you saw? Theres some artifacts of the color cast in the blacks and whites that could be corrected via the raw file. Light is still a bit harsh on the head and oranges may be a bit hot. I hope this helps a bit
    Thanks for the workup. While I can't say if this is closer to what I saw I can say it looks better. I'm still new to all this - so I guess my question would be - how does one determine what is the correct color cast for a shot. For me, novice that I am - I looked at my rendition and thought - yes, there's lots of green and orange - but I was in the rainforest with some light streaming in and all that light was being filtered by the leaves/greenery around - so, I guess this was it. But, when it's not - how does one look at the histogram or other tools to see - "Ah, it's not right - but I'll adjust this -and that - and... there, that's right."?

Thanks for feedback on this... appreciate it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, forgot to mention - this is a user knowledge/sight error not a monitor error... I do the and use Sypder (spelling?) on my retina iMac. Sadly, not the machine - but ME. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ing View Post
    Thanks for the workup. While I can't say if this is closer to what I saw I can say it looks better. I'm still new to all this - so I guess my question would be - how does one determine what is the correct color cast for a shot. For me, novice that I am - I looked at my rendition and thought - yes, there's lots of green and orange - but I was in the rainforest with some light streaming in and all that light was being filtered by the leaves/greenery around - so, I guess this was it. But, when it's not - how does one look at the histogram or other tools to see - "Ah, it's not right - but I'll adjust this -and that - and... there, that's right."?

Thanks for feedback on this... appreciate it.
    Hi Jay, glad it was helpful! Arash has written a very nice blog post on color correction, linked at the bottom of my post, that I think youll find help. I generally just try to keep colors like white and black 'true' to their original with slight white balance adjustments to reflect stuff like 'warmth'. So for example in your OP, both the whites and blacks looked pretty green / yellow so when I pulled it into lightroom I first played with the WB adjustment before moving onto the saturation sliders. Hope this helps!

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blo...n-photography/