Thread: Poingiant hare uk Lepus europeaus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Poingiant hare uk Lepus europeaus

Attached Images Attached Images

I've sort of been looking for something like this in certain fields of late. Taken at sunset I wanted almost a desert feeling dry arid and little growing. Essentially what I wanted to try and capture was my sadness at what most of us take for granted,food production and effect (dramtised here a bit...there is a bigger picture) our ie mankind's modern ways of producing. effects the other folks that live alongside us ie wildlife. I guess I'm trying to show it through my hare and he played ball with this pose.

This is a stubble field ,probably wheat) it's been left all winter ,so probably has been of great benefit to our little mates, the bigger picture. But now it and all the weeds and shoots growing have been killed,ready for the next crop. The mechanism for this is chemical warfare to me ie sprays. Look we are breeding out of control we need food so efficent methods are needed. By the same token I feel we can live without trashing our planet. I grow alot,not self sufficient in any way but I need not chemicals,nature provides if you let heronr has to graft a bit harder at times.but nature is no slouch ,we hit her with chemicals her usual resolve is immunity,then we need more or stronger,it's not the way forwards.

I won't go further,it's a photography forum,but images can inspire make folks ponder,so I wanted to out line the whys ,what I was trying to show. suffice to say I haven't seen a hare in these field now for 3 weeks just starting to venture back now

A slight crop for comp he was too central,such a brief chance I wanted this bagged before moving FP's. Canon 1div 300f2.8is ext 2x iii Slightly moved colour tone to the red side. taken from vechile pov is what it is although again I'm making benefit of a bank to lessen the effect of looking down hopefully at least a bit.

1/400
    f8
    iso 2500

Thanks for the thoughts and comments on my previous images, No boxing yet ,but two very close chances in 3 days means that maybe the work ethic will favour me,maybe not...... abit of luck might help

many thanks

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu, the environmental 'stubble' is very typical and another nice contrast to Jon's grass.

I can't write as well as Gabriela can, but I really like the light and the fact the hare is almost dozing, but in fact it would bolt in an instance. Nice alert pose with the ears and the HA works for me. I know your concerns on cropping, but I feel you can afford to go a bit tighter in, but perhaps that's my personal choice?

I again feel techs look good, would not like push the camera too much, hopefully you had a good platform from the car. The posting to me is faithful to what I would expect with the warm, saturated light of the evening, histogram albeit on the JPEG also looks well exposed. If you kill the Blue and just open the shadows up a fraction it helps, likewise adding some NR. Now I did apply two Curves adjustments to open the 1/4 tones which has give a small boost, but also if you take the white tail reading suddenly the images 'pops' a bit more.

Stu, again just my take and working from the OP, but keep plugging at it, it is paying off.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Stu, I can't add much to what Steve said (I have to admit killing the blues would not have occurred to me at first when the shot was taken in the evening - but clearly a good idea). Just a thought did you get a shot with the eyes open?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Stu:)

I am becoming addicted to those Hare images, LOL. I so badly want one of my own:)

Awesome light, so golden and strong, sweet and with a reddish tinge... Looks like your camera can handle high ISO and I am so pleased you went up to 2500 - well done! I am obsessed with Shutter Speed, to me 1/400s is too low even though the subject is still, I would have dropped my F-stop to about 5 at the risk of ending up with blurred whiskers... Another reason to do so would be to achieve a better separation between the subject and surroundings. Stu - when not sure, just play around with settings and decide later which frames you want to keep. It does work for me:)

A poignant image of a Poignant Hare and I agree with Steve, this is a faithful representation of what you have seen. With just a few tweaks you can make things pop more, you are doing so well mate and so exciting for me to see your progress. Hope the sun shines at the weekend and you bet more opportunities with those chaps, looking forward to your next post!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve,all the usual gratitude. If this was an Autumnal image I feel it is typical,because it's spring,and the complete absense of green...there isn't a single blade /leaf anywhere alive, I do find it almost a surreal setting. there were little plants weeds all ways weeks back. Anyway yup it is a contrast to the utter vibrance green wise every where else,you are so right there. My goal would have been full frame for this image,I have hundreds of closer shots Steve,with my subject larger in frame,the environment I wanted more of really. Very much a personal choice mate.

My shutter is lower than I want but I felt I could just get away with it.solid base from car,but I need to be much more astute in this late evening light. I need to be much better with iso 3200-6400.

Buddy help me out here please...killing the blues,jon's also picked up on this comment. Would you elucidate for me please. I think you mean by pulling back the blues,a primary colour in light,one might emphasise the yellow and reds of the colour spectrum,possibly close to already saturated,so difficult to boost them. Can you give me more detail there please and whether I have understood you correctly.

gotcha on the shadows,I did lift shadows slightly but yours works better,taken on board thank you !!

thanks so much mate

Stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dropped you an email Stu.

Steve

8. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Nice shot Stu, I can't add much to what Steve said (I have to admit killing the blues would not have occurred to me at first when the shot was taken in the evening - but clearly a good idea). Just a thought did you get a shot with the eyes open?
    Yup got eyes open a variance of HA's Jon,but not enough time to move FP's,was doing that when he shot off . A fleeting chance really Jon,but this HA and the expression was a deep personal choice,that might not be everyones' first choice from that set. It fitted what I wanted to protray Jon, the chemicals sprayed make this field really odd to me for now /springtime,when all is lush and vibrant green here.

thanks buddy

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Stu:)

I am becoming addicted to those Hare images, LOL. I so badly want one of my own:)

Awesome light, so golden and strong, sweet and with a reddish tinge... Looks like your camera can handle high ISO and I am so pleased you went up to 2500 - well done! I am obsessed with Shutter Speed, to me 1/400s is too low even though the subject is still, I would have dropped my F-stop to about 5 at the risk of ending up with blurred whiskers... Another reason to do so would be to achieve a better separation between the subject and surroundings. Stu - when not sure, just play around with settings and decide later which frames you want to keep. It does work for me:)

A poignant image of a Poignant Hare and I agree with Steve, this is a faithful representation of what you have seen. With just a few tweaks you can make things pop more, you are doing so well mate and so exciting for me to see your progress. Hope the sun shines at the weekend and you bet more opportunities with those chaps, looking forward to your next post!

Kind regards,
    Hiya Gabby,
    if you are ever in this part of the world,come and find me,you are always welcome here,i'll find you a big ol guy and learn a stack watching you make images of him

Gabby,I have shot in grey for months now,it is how it is. Maybe warm lovely light like this a couple of times since xmas. First up i'm very aware of a weakness at the moment in my techs at this time of day. Second because of the light here and obviously pressures on time meaning I can't choose when to go out these higher iso's are my normal go to start points. I need to push this further really Gabby leastways I feel I do. But i'm not completely happy yet at 3200/6400. Somewhere between 3200 and 6400 (iso) is a cut off point where ,again I feel,IQ might start to degrade. i'm really happy now at 2500 . I'd have liked my shutter higher,I agree, stopping down a good idea,he's a bit further away than usual,great tip.

Gabby, i'm not yet honed on these techs especially when i'm pushed time wise,it is improving all the time. With persistence i'll get there. He he i'm probably so besotted with them that i'm still trying to make images when there is really no light and I should have gone home,but I learn much when the going gets tough. It's been so wonderful to be out and have a chance under sunset light again mate,but i've got to do some serious work on my techs.

If I have time I am exploring the techs yes a great mantra Gabby.

Thanks as always for the enthusiasm and encouragement, I may not get my boxing shots this year,but I'm having an absolutely fantastic time and leaning so much I have no complaints

take care

Stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Very nice warm light. I prefer Steve's crop but might go somewhere in between his and yours as far as tone and colors. The barren field is a stark contrast to the greens of Jon's recent image. Love the alert ears here too.

TFS,
    Rachel

12. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- nothing much to add for me , well covered by Steve and others. You are doing great with your photography, nice lot of images lately . Keep them coming .

TFS !