Thread: If looks could kill

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default If looks could kill

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another shot of one of the Great Gray Owls from Massena, New York. I have come to realize since getting the 1DX that I have zero experience with processing high ISO shots. Needed work on it for sure. I posted this shot in the Digital Workflow Forum and got some good suggestions. Got good advice to decrease the blues and add in levels to lower the dark and mid tones. Really made the bird stand out more and added contrast.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 2000, F8, SS 1/2000.

Processed in DPP 4.6 and PS. Noise reduction with Neat Image.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image certainly has impact and it is clean too.
    I have seen very few of these in fact only one and it was a lot paler in colour than this one so I am sorry to say I cannot really comments on the colours, having said that the tree looks like true colours and no blown highlights.

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Image.

I was able to see this majestic Bird this year. Great gray owl is confirmed in Utah for first time in 28 years....

I was not able to get a good shot, this image reminded me of that bird and made me happy.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks
    Krishna

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We had some of these locally this year, and I did not even get the chance to photograph one! One of my favorite poses from GGOs is when they tilt their heads down a bit like it did here for you. Good vertical comp. I think the reds should be reduced as well here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the look and the environment, I also find this one a bit oversaturated and contrasty
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would echo Dan's and Arash's thoughts here Issac. I think Arash the Contrast may also be emphasised by the Levels adjustment, if this was a Global adjustment then I would be tempted to try it after exporting from DPP where you have far more control. I might also be tempted to come in a fraction more on the RHS to loose the darker vertical of the tree. Is this FF or cropped as I would still feel there is more detail/clarity you can extract from the face????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I fully agree with what has been said. Photo still did not look right to me and that is why I posted it here and on the workflow forum. I will say that this particular bird is very contrasty. It has a very dark facial disk. About the darkest I have seen on any bird. I have searched through hundreds of pics on line and this one is about the darkest I have seen. So that may be what is adding to the problems. I went back one last time and did the following. Reduced the blues, magentas and reds. Did a levels adjustments but less aggressive, raised the brightness a bit and lowered the contrast. I find these birds so hard as they are not just dull gray birds when seen in nice light. They are also variable. Some are super dark while others are much lighter. Arash I have viewed your amazing Great Gray photos on your site and many of those look quite different as well. Also cropped as per Steve's advice.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Issac, your call, but may be if you are agreeable, fire off the RAW to both Arash (if he has time) & myself. Happy to try and process it with feedback, as all feedback 99.9% is based on what is posted, so we have to make certain assumptions, parking aside how the image is displayed via monitor/ambient light. Arash uses DPP as you do, I use LR, but it's really looking at some basic steps, not comparing Raw convertors.

In addition, how sharp is the RAW at 100% pre PP, as you may find the kit also needs calibration which is not unusual.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Much, much, better! The colours look natural now.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac I must say that the repost is the one for me did think the op looked a bit overdone,great looking Owl.

Keith.