Thread: Costa Rican - Red-legged Honeycreeper

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Costa Rican - Red-legged Honeycreeper

Attached Images Attached Images

I call this fella Mr.Cool-Jay. He's not a Jay of course but his "sunglasses" sure make him look cool.

Captured from blind in same location as the Brown Billed Sythebill posted a few days ago. This fella and his girlfriend (will post soon) came along literally 5 minutes later.

Info: Nikon D500, 300 PF f4 (think no TC was on), settings: Handheld, 1/320s, f5.6, 420mm, resulting ISO 2200.

C&C welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the eye contact, composition, clean BG and interesting perch. I think it might be a Red-legged Honeycreeper. Well done Jay. Where in Costa Rica did you get this image?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crosswell View Post
    I like the eye contact, composition, clean BG and interesting perch. I think it might be a Red-legged Honeycreeper. Well done Jay. Where in Costa Rica did you get this image?
    Thanks for the ID suggestion - I look it up.
    I was in a little town called Dos Brasos - about 30 minutes bumpy ride from Puerto Jimenez.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jay, I like the pose, nice BG, and neat perch. Looks like you may have run some NR to the bird as it seems to be smoothed out in some areas. I usually do not apply any to the subject, but if you must I would advise doing so judiciously.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Hey Jay, I like the pose, nice BG, and neat perch. Looks like you may have run some NR to the bird as it seems to be smoothed out in some areas. I usually do not apply any to the subject, but if you must I would advise doing so judiciously.
    Wow,feedback from another of my most admired wildlife photographers! Nice to hear from you, Daniel! I'll see about less or no NR to the bird. Even with no NR some areas didn't seem to appear distinct ,but I'll give it a second look. Thanks for the feedback.

6. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely a Red-legged Honeycreeper. Good advice on NR; I rarely apply it to the bird. I would tone down the brights on top of the bird's head.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Doug. I tried to tone down the headlights already but will give it another go. Appreciate it. Would love to join you in CR someday. I hear your tours are killa. Cheers -