Thread: Framing options...tighter crop vs 'distracting' elements

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Framing options...tighter crop vs 'distracting' elements

Coots are feisty little birds at this time of year and for anyone who has not seen them, they have these outlandishly large feet that they use as weapons - they lean back in the water and pound their opponent into submission in a flurry of water.

The water plays havoc with the AF and this was one of the better shots - but here is my dilemma:
    - the looser crop is already cropped about 15% linear and has the duck on the right which is OOF so not too bad
    - the tighter crop takes out the duck but is cropped about 30% linear compare to the original, and at the limits of what I would call acceptable

Which option would you take?

Name:  MY8A0662 - Coots fighting sharpened-101.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  355.5 KB

Name:  MY8A0662 - Coots fighting sharpened-102.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  348.9 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, you forgot the third option… clone out the duck and re-crop image.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful action caught Mike, haha that is no easy shot. Coots in anything above brit gloom I always find exposure challenging,but with the action and water flying to cope with as well I think you have done incredibly well mate. I like Tim's crop and idea if you are ok with cloning that is if not your tighter crop.
    Buddy would you pop your techs up please,i'd love to see what you used and what settings to capture this.

He he fiesty,i'd call them ruffians great image Mike

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have had difficulty focusing on Coots for a long time. A lot of black. And, as previously mentioned, the exposure issue. I like your solution.

There is a pond, the north nature pond at Tingley Beach in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where I sometimes shoot in the morning. Birds of two species are often fighting: American Coots v American Coot and Canada Geese males. Especially at this time of the year. So I'm familiar with the difficulty of focusing between the water drops. Nice job.