Thread: A 'watchful' eye...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A 'watchful' eye...

Attached Images Attached Images

For me, I often find it hard to search for something different in terms of framing, content, POV etc with Lions, as invariably they are just fat, sleepy Lions that don't do anything other than the occasional flick of a tale, unless they are on a kill or the pride has some playful cubs. Sadly with this particular pride, no kill or cubs, just a seven strong pride that lazed around. Here we thought the pride were stirring and perhaps even on the start of a hunt, minutes later hopes we dashed, as three females that had got up just collapsed on the other resting pride. However a few moment prior this young Lion just looked right across directly down the barrel of the lens.

Yes, perhaps this is a 'marmite' shot, but for me there is enough OOF head to 'gloss' past and make eye contact with that beady eye. Taken late afternoon.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lion (Panthera leo) watchful eye
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII with 1.4x MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO640
    Original format: Portrait, minimal crop, FF on the sides
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

A playful image and you know I like certain forms of "marmite"... Especially when golden light is involved.

This may not be everyone's cuppa. But in my case it does get me thinking. Among all images I get to view every day there are some I do not look at properly or just leave me indifferent. A few occasionally stand out with an impact that forces me to take notice. This frame possesses certain qualities I dare call "beauty" because it makes me think out of the box and notice details. In fact it gave me at least ten minutes or so of acute concentration. Instead of using photography as a supplement to active and conscious seeing, you tend to often use it as an alternative, paying lots of attention to detail and employing a sort of instinct to accentuate desirable elements in a given scene. How long such images survive in my memory really depends on how intentionally you as photographer approach what you saw. I love the way the camera blurs the distinction between looking and noticing here. And this makes me think of Ruskin's words: " ...your art is to be the praise of something that you love..."

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- It is that glittering eye which looks stunning but this is not grabbing me as much as i thought before opening the thumbnail . Kind of an image that i would definitely try in the field and experiment. But i am 50 -50 on this shot , might because of that OOF ear which i feel is quite distracting . Always great to experiment on the field and try something different .

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Beautiful light and detail but the oof element is too dominant for me. Always good to experiment in the field.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - sorry bud not keen on marmite, whilst I appreciate what you did and achieved I just cannot help but think the lion in front is simply in the way. The eye is very "eye catching" but I am afraid the lion in front is too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hmm I love marmite buddy,but again this one isn't doing it for me sadly. The foreground lion is just too strong in the frame for me. Steve I find your willingness to explore heart warming and challenging. Finding something a little different is oft on my mind especially while waiting for a hare to wake up and so often it is in my thoughts with the fallow. I'd very glad you posted images that make one think are always good to see,personal preferences aside. It's stunningly executed as always Steve love the detail the strength of her gaze.

Good frame Steve maybe one that challenges us to think beyond the obvious for that alone I thank you for sharing

take care thanks for all

Stu