Thread: Alligator Cuddling...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Alligator Cuddling...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spring is the time for alligators to mate. These two were getting to know each other. The one on top was about 8 feet long, the bottom one bigger maybe 12 feet. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 200mm
    1/3200 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1000 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017
    Cropped for composition and presenatation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 04-02-2017 at 06:56 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Joe, great to see more diverse animals being posted .

From my perspective and take, I feel you needed to be a bit closer that you were, is this FF? Also I would like to see more separation between the two in terms of subject and water, as the image appears a bit dark/Contrasty and very cold in Temp, which it might be, but this is where you as the 'Artist/Author' need to add you little bit of 'Wizardry' within the PP stage to the capture. Think you could have dialled back on the SS.

Not sure if this helps in the direction I was thinking, the G is a tad dark, but hard to do things justice with the OP because of limitations, WDYT?

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe - Nice poses and comp. Looks like the light was harsh and exp tough. What time of day did you shoot this? The contrast looks strong with some of the blacks choked and some highlights blown. If it were mine I would reduce the blues and cyans on the gators. I hope you'll post more gators.

TFS,
    Rachel

P.S. Steve posted his rp while I was looking at the image and commenting. He has taken it in the direction it needed to go.
    Last edited by Rachel Hollander; 04-02-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe,

I really like this, such an interesting behavioural frame, very unusual.

Good techs, well seen and captured, great timing, composition works well. Steve's RP deals with colour casts and brings that much needed warmth to this frame.

I really hope you have more images from this sighting, as well as more info? Forgive my ignorance, are we looking at a male and female mating here, or perhaps one male showing dominance/ territorial hierarchy over the other?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe -- I absolutely love such behavioural shots and great to so many different species posted. I too am in agreement with the above, Steve's RP has improved this image by some distance and i also feel that a tighter frame would have been much more interesting , nonetheless i feel you have done well considering the subjects and the lighting condition . Wish to see more of them .

TFS !