Thread: Late night walk home

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Late night walk home

I had been trying some evening street scenes and saw this cobbled street with some real character, and after experimenting a while this woman and child walked past me. I would have preferred them to be a bit more to the left more into the light but I think the silhouettes work quite well in the shadows.

Olympus E-M5 withPanasonic 45-200
    ISO 800 1/4 sec f5.6
    Tripod mounted

Name:  PB230459 Late night walk home-101.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  285.2 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice idea and pretty well done. As presented perhaps clone out the two isolated bright strips as they are a distraction. You could reduce the dominance of the dark areas by a vertical 2x3 crop.

3. Thanks Mike Hitchen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the light and having the people in the images I would also crop it to vertical losing stripes amd about half the darkness on the left
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Mike

I like where you were going with this and I agree with Don & Colin above, but as an alternative to cropping out some of the darkness they suggested I had a look at lifting the detail in the shadows RHS and removing that distracting strip on the left.. Your shot, your vision, just showing an alternative...

DON

6. Thanks Mike Hitchen thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, a nice take on the street scene at night. I like Don R's repost as the crop eliminates the large dark areas and also lifts some much needed detail out of the right side as well.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like that Don, thank you.
    I did play with lifting the shadows but you seem to have got better balance than I did - and removing the light strips makes a heap of difference (thank you to Colin as well).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

eI Like the intimate feel of this image. I like the way that you waited for the right moment to press the shutter. Dons adjustments improve the image by bringing out more highlights and emphasising the two figures. If this were mine I might have tried adjusting the white balance as I find the orange light a little heavy. This reminds me of where I grew up in the UK many many years ago except for the modern street lamp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Mike Hitchen;1152210]I like that Don, thank you.
    I did play with lifting the shadows but you seem to have got better balance than I did

Hi Mike
    A self imposed guide for me... the less colour there is in an image the more importance there is to get the balance of what colours there are right... Ie in B&W its critical... this image approaches a B&W IMHO..

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, Don. I did play with B&W conversion but felt the orange light on the original had more of a 'feel' to the location.

David - I have toyed with the HSL setting for the oranges and lowering them a slight fraction does improve the image subtly.