Thread: SEO

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default SEO

Attached Images Attached Images

For once both weather and luck was on our side, albeit almost 5 hours of nothing apart from some Harriers floating by, teasing us.

Taken towards the later part of the day, having waited in a location which was prime Real Estate hunting ground for these guys. Having moved off, we found ourselves almost tripping over these guys, quite literally, however one guy was so chilled he just sat there not a care in the world, it was crazy, as I've never seen an Owl being so relaxed. The habitat was very annoying as you could not get too low, plus we ensured we did not enter into his comfort zone using long lenses. Little did we know that it was the Owl that would come to us, to the point where we ran out of lens, as my good friend Jamie resorted to a 16-35 at the end of the session, ridiculous, but the SEO was not phased at all.

This was early on tense the kit. The two OOF grass blades are not ideal, however I was not expecting this guy to move, if I did both SS would have been a tad higher and I might have moved a fraction more to the right.

Steve

Subject: SEO (Asio flammeus)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500mm f/4 MKII with 2x MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/9 ISO1600
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very unusual shot, I have never seen one so close under natural circumstances. Excellent fine detail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What unique view; must have been an amazing experience. I'd be tempted to dodge the right side of the bird's face and eye just a bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like it's coming to get you Steve,excellent IQ agree with Bill re the eye,you don't often get an opportunity like this so very well done.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks, it was fun and certainly not 'baited', as this location prevents this and so I'm pleased to achieve what we did in the time. Here I was accompanied by a good friend and ex member of BPN Jamie who really needs to get back into the saddle, but enjoys extreme running now, what a waste .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like he's hunting on foot Steve,an amazing encounter you'll cherish that one. We saw one tonight ,but not for much longer:they'll be away soon.
    Stunning image mate that intense stare is so alluring, these seo's are sooo special . Buddy could you have grabbed more dof,I know he's pulled one over on you and moved,presumably seen something,did body position change within that.
    Absolutely cracking photography mate to me a very unique image,,their camo is amazing when in old dry grass and those veggies are soo trying.

Wicked Steve proper joy to see this one cheers for sharing

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

The raised foot , intense stare, sense of being in his environment, all work. Yes, grasses a bit of a bother, but not major. I must say I have never had any owl this 'tame' that he would come in so tight.

Well captured.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I must say I have never had any owl this 'tame' that he would come in so tight.
    Thanks Randy, you are not alone, as both Jamie & I were both amazed at how the SEO just sat there. He allowed us to move around quite freely as we gave him a wide birth, endeavouring to find other angles in terms of light and the avoidance of the grass blades, however I think he knew exactly where to position himself because no matter what we tried to do we kept coming back to the same POV.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Buddy could you have grabbed more dof,I know he's pulled one over on you and moved,presumably seen something,did body position change within that.
    Hi Stu, when we came across his guy we had no idea what was going to happen, whether he was going to fly or just stay. Keeping some distance we just sat and waited for a while just to let him settle down, then very slowly we began to position ourselves and then gently firing a few frames, not wishing to startle him. F/9 I felt was enough DoF at that time, however he surprised us both by darting past us, perhaps he herd something so no chance to up the DoF at that time, more intent on trying to keep track. In addition being angled I'm not sure how much more you might have needed i.e. f/16, but that would have then impacted on the ISO too, not an issue for the awesome 1DXMK2.

After stopping he still then hugged the grasses with his back, but this meant we then had to move further back (as he was then within feet of us) and shoot higher to avoid the intersecting grasses, but were within a 7-9ft distance which HE chose, not us and continued to be happy and in no way stressed. Being this close meant I had to ask for my 200-400 from Jamie , but he was still happy to shoot with his 100-400 and my other MK2 body. Certainly a great encounter and something I doubt we will ever repeat again.

10. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve savoir the moment I doubt you will get another like this,once in a lifetime thing,seen a lot of little Owls in this marching pose but never a Short Eared Owl,well done.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Keith, indeed both Jamie & I will, I just wished others like yourself could have been there to, as you would have seen at first hand just how this SEO took to us without any enticements.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks like your patience paid off, I am surprised they are still around in that area
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Arash, flocks of them!!! I've been meaning to PM you, will do so.

cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a cool and unique frame of one of these SEOs. Don't see them running around the ground too often. Nice action and details captured. Well done Steve
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com