Thread: Roseate Spoonbill

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Roseate Spoonbill

Attached Images Attached Images

We were itching to get going finding birds the afternoon we arrived in Florida last month. We were right next to J.N. Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, so off we ventured. Saw my first alligator in the wild, then we came upon another lifer for me, the remarkable looking Roseate Spoonbill. They were flying in to roost for the night on the mangrove branches. Our timing was right to get some images including their legs and feet. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 500mm f4/G, 1/800s, f7.1, ISO 2500, FF, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot -- I had trouble getting close to these guys at Ding Darling. Cool perch too. I'm finding the shot a bit dark and seeing a bit of blues coming through the whites on the neck and bill but see what others say there. Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting a lifer!

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Nice shot -- I had trouble getting close to these guys at Ding Darling. Cool perch too. I'm finding the shot a bit dark and seeing a bit of blues coming through the whites on the neck and bill but see what others say there. Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting a lifer!
    Thanks Alex. It was pushing towards late afternoon, plus the shade of the mangroves. Thanks for pointing out the blues through the neck and bill. I had reduced the blues, but maybe needs a bit more removed.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations on your first of many Spoonbills - everyone always remembers their first time. The conditions were tough, late afternoon in dim light and shade. I like the perch and pose, and the way the bird stands out against the dark BG. Rather than too dark, the brights are actually too bright, and too blue. The whites in the neck are 207.232.252, and on the mantle 224.241.255. You might be able to adjust the highlights and color temperature in RAW capture.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Alex and Bill.

Geoffrey