Thread: What's That?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What's That?

Attached Images Attached Images

Another Puff Adder image... I have so many of them, I am afraid you will eventually get bored. I think Andreas' seals are much more exciting...

Anyway here's Mrs. Puffy. This was taken at 6 in the morning as she was busy flicking her tongue to sniff a stick in the sand.

Techs as follows:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 300mmF2.8
    ISO 5000
    F20
    1/2500s

Thank you so much for viewing and comments, appreciated:)
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This has excellent focus, framing and well-chosen DOF, Gabriela. With the of motion and of inquisitiveness I think this is one of the best of the set.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Great low pov and dof. I really like that we can see a couple of curves of the body and also the way the tongue is sensing the small twig. This just works on all fronts. Well done.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- This is fantastic , Loved the way it is popping against the sand. Great choice on DOF and great timing on getting that ssssss...

Is it safe to get close to them or this is taken under controlled environment ? sorry for the question but i haven't seen previous posts if any and where you might have answered a similar question .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is just amazing Gabriela! Superbly composed and executed image Love the techs and the colours!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Mike, Rachel, Haseeb and Sanjeev:)

Haseeb, it is never safe to get too close to those snakes. Or any venomous snakes. Always a risk, even for individuals with experience in terms of judging snake temperament or a particular situation. This female was relatively calm and going about her business, at first I kept my distance from her and gradually got closer as she got used to my presence. I had to move out of her way a number of times but kept my cool, save for one instance when I could not focus on her and realised she was too close, I will share this image soon. One of my best buddies is a herpetologist and teaches me about snakes: a couple of months ago I had the opportunity to handle a Forest Cobra - a more serious challenge as far as I am concerned, they are nervous chaps and strike fast. I really cannot anticipate their behaviour at this stage, I do not have enough experience. Hope this answers your question:)

Wishing you all a great Sunday,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela agree with the above this is one of your best ,beautiful detail and texture,fascinating with the Snake investigating that tiny little stick(this shows to me someone who really studies there subjects). Gabriela now you take care with these Snakes it sounds a bit risky to me, I will stick to Squirrels/Hares.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Keith, appreciated!

A bushy tailed squirrel or a long eared hare will do for me, love them to bits

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, for me I think previous postings have the edge on this one, but worth posting other options & POV. I personally feel a bit more below and less above would be an alternative crop, just moving things down.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely snake, so interesting. In Florida there are six poisonous snakes, three are rattlesnakes. I would love to capture an image like this of one of our rattlesnakes. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear Steve and Joseph,

Steve, thought you'd be bored with my snakes by now More below not possible I am afraid unless I add canvas, I think this is FF. I do see what you mean re. comp... I should have thought about it when I was shooting...

I will see what else I have, right now searching for a Theme image, if I remember well April is all about rodents, right Rachel?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea