Thread: Costa Rican - Orange-collared Manakin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Costa Rican - Orange-collared Manakin

Attached Images Attached Images

One more from Costa Rica trip this month.
    Nikon D500, 300 PF f4 lens, ISO 4000, 1/60, f5.6, 420mm (on DX) handheld - Capture One Pro 10 and Denoise pp.
    TIA.
    Last edited by Doug Brown; 03-31-2017 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Corrected EXIF data

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cracking little bird. I love Manakins and their crazy dances and antics. You have a very nice pose and background here. But the bird is not tack sharp. The area on the upper chest and side of face is almost completely lacking in fine feather detail as I guess too much noise reduction was applied. Also the shot is under exposed as well. Considering the circumstances I think you did fairly well but at a shutter speed of 1/60th it is extremely hard to have a tack sharp shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, they only show up in the area in the early morning and the lighting was less than ideal - had to go so slow to get ISO as low as possible. It looks soft indeed - better on my screen. I'll try another approach and go lighter on NR and see what I can get. Thanks for the suggestions/comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There are many ways to apply NR and everyone has a different workflow. If you have not purchased Arash and Artie's ebook re professional processing and noise reduction I would highly recommend it. I had what I thought was a good workflow until I purchased it and applied their vast knowledge to my shots. There is a major improvement in the final product and I think it is probably the best money I have spent in a really long time. Thing is that I have spent thousands or tens of thousands on gear, plus all the time in the field. To not spend a few extra bucks on what will improve literally every shot made zero cents to me. I could not be happier with my purchase. The guide really teaches the fine line between keeping fine feather details, sharpening while at the same time reducing noise. But to get the most you must have a tack sharp RAW photo.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that. I wrote the authors asking if the book would be helpful for non-canon users but hadn't heard back. It sounds like it will be. I was quite sure I wanted the book and you make me certain so thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

non Canon users certainly can get the ebook. It is only for noise reduction and output sharpening.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also love the little Manakins. I've never seen this one. You've captured him in a great pose and with gorgeous colors, nice bg. I'm not sure what you meant by "1/4000, 1/60". Was it ISO 4000 at 1/60s SS? These little guys always seem to be in deep tropical settings with dim light, so if those were the settings they have certainly affected the IQ. But it's such a lovely bird and pose that it would be worth going back to the RAW and trying again with the NR.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your kind comments, Bill. It's amazing to me to get such insightful feedback from such expert photographers such as yourself. Yes, I just got a NR guide and plan to redo this one to give it the best treatment I can in a few days (will post again). Your guess was right ISO 4k, 1/60s. The guide said they'd only stay in the underbrush for about 10 more minutes and then be gone for the day. Of course, light was going to be acceptable in 15 minutes :)... so, you do what you can. These were the lightest of the hundred or so I cranked out hoping for a keeping. And yup, the never seem to sit still at all.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, it's not prefect - but in terms of NR some great improvements are in place from feedback from our forum members - so THANKS. No doubt all my future images will benefit (when... I find time to do the edits... I'm sure I'll get quicker and better with time).

Anyhow, here's a post of re-edits of the same image using the recommended tools and NR processing guides. I'm very pleased with the NR now. I wish I'd darkened the bkg more - and - don't know how difficult it is to go back and do that - but still for what it is - it will "stand" of now. Cheers -

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is a massive improvement, Jay. Well done.