Thread: Night-Crowned Heron Ready for Takeoff

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Night-Crowned Heron Ready for Takeoff

Attached Images Attached Images

To improve my ability and get my head more into what I'm doing, I'm trying to stop by my usual birding spot a couple times each week on my way home from work (golden hour). Today was windy and not much activity - but before the wind picked up I saw this fella in very nice light and - (yes, low and behold I'm learning to recognize behavior predictors)... I could tell he was likely to take flight in a bit so I hung around. Glad I did, had time to get the settings I thought I'd need (maybe SS a bit high but it accomplished my goal) and I'm quite happy with the results. Obviously, a lower perspective would have been nicer - I was about 80 yards out - and I must say this "test" makes me feel pretty happy about my 2nd copy of the Tamron 150-600 G2. It's as sharp as I could hope for at this price point at 450mm (700 on my DX crop D500).

Context: D500, Tamron 150-600 G2, 1/2500, f8, 450mm, ISO 640 - about a 50% crop - pp is Capture One Pro 10, slight sharpening on face and some desaturation and reduced exposure on bkg.

Thanks for any suggestions on what I could do to improve next time. TIA.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, the bird looks to be sharp and you have a good head angle and WB, I don't care to much for the dark vignetting around the corners
    and the image is a slight bit under exposed. I would have gone with a horizontal crop with more room in front of the GBH so it doesn't feel like it's going to flyn into a wall.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is this better IYO?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, your first post was better you just need to lighten up your shadows a bit and get rid of the vignetting.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I liked the vertical crop more too. Here's less shadows and less vin.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, your darks are fine but your light need to be a bit darker, try adjustments in curves if that helps.
    The horizontal crop was better but still needs a bit more room in front of the bird.
    For the correct ID this is a Great Blue Heron.

-Tim